Inbox Influence: plugin reveals corporate money behind the emails in your inbox

17 Responses to “Inbox Influence: plugin reveals corporate money behind the emails in your inbox”

1. holtt says:

Unless I’m dealing with people at a political and/or business level, this is none of my business to know.

That said, what an awesomely stupidly powerful Facebook plugin this would make. Think of how many arguments, aggressive wall posts, ignores and unfriends it would cause.

2. holtt says:

PS

Perhaps make an app version – call it iJudge. Pre release version would be called preJudge, but might be so good you can keep the name.

3. technogeek says:

Another reason why I don’t use gmail. I don’t want anyone or anything but me and my contracted spamfilter running any kind of analysis over my mail data.

When dealing with computer security, paranoia is not enough.

• jwb says:

This doesn’t have anything to do with gmail. It’s a browser script that ganks the contents of your emails right out of your browser and sends it to these jokers. They could just as easily have written it for hotmail or whatever. I do agree with your underlying principle that you’d have to be not paying attention to think installing this is a great idea.

There is an old, un-updated FF extension that did something like this. It was more subjective — a website did the rankings on companies, and the extension overlays them when you visit that company’s website.

Actually Google and Facebook did make contributions which can be searched (by name) here: http://influenceexplorer.com

Just type the name of the company,lawmaker or prominent individual into the search box.

6. Jerry Vandesic says:

I like it. I can use this to make sure that I only associate with people that have the same political leanings as myself. That way I can be confident that I only hear things that I already agree with.

• RandomAccuracy says:

I agree, at first glance this seems like a good idea, but boy it just feels like a way to unnecessarily bias your interaction with people you don’t know…

What is next, an association filter? I never want to interact with anyone who has ever talked to Fred… go to it Inbox Influence!

7. Stooge says:

A plugin that copies all my mail to someone else’s server, eh? What could possibly go wrong?

• blendergasket says:

Did you see they have a tool that interfaces with your bank acct to see the influence of the companies you send your money with? That’s just a lot, lot, lot of trust to instill in them and I could see it absolutely backfiring and becoming a PR blackhole if there were some security hole in it.

It looks like they have one that parses the news for influence relationships. I haven’t played with it yet but THAT seems really useful to me.

How do you uninstall this?

9. lubertdas says:

to Jerry Vandesic @ #1

You haven’t been in the boingboing comments for very long, have you?

Unless you’re being sarcasti….

wait, I saw what you did there!

10. MTBooks says:

I imagine this tool would be a lot more informative if that Citizens United ruling had gone the other way.

Doesn’t seem to work. Amazon, Facebook, my Bank and TicketMaster made no political contributions? Lame.

I don’t need or want this for email, but it would be nice to have something similar for websites that sell stuff. That way I’d have some idea of what they’re doing with the money they make from me.

The idea of what you might call “social consumerism” dates back to a series of paperbacks called Shopping for a Better World. They were compendiums of various corporations, listing their records on environmental, social, and political issues.

I bought a few copies, and actually used them now and then, but these books seemed to fade away by the early 2000s. They were followed by more narrowly defined “buy blue” websites, which apparently also fizzled from lack of interest, and perhaps because of the effort required to keep them current.

As much as the anticonsumer folks think I should, I’m probably not gonna stop buying stuff, at least not until I’m unemployed and destitute. I’d really appreciate a browser plugin that would give me instant feedback on the social (or at least political) values of the companies and people I’m dealing with.

13. druse says:

@ #1 Jerry Vandesic & # 4 lubertdas: Funny ;-)

14. SamSam says:

I agree that it would be trivial to turn this into a generic browser plugin that showed you the political giving of any website you went on to. I think that would be much more useful.

I don’t care who my co-worker gave to, but if I see that somewidgits.com gives all it’s money to Rick Santorum, I might just go to otherwidgits.com.