Origin of the Good Humor bar

14 Responses to “Origin of the Good Humor bar”

1. Stefan Jones says:

The Good Humor truck that serviced the neighborhood where I grew up (circa 1965-1970) was similar to this, but had an open-topped cab and less flamboyant fenders.

Our Good Humor man, Ben, an an impatient bastard. If you took too long to order he’d crack you on the head with a Dixie Cup or throw frost from inside the freezer in your face.

I remember the prices of two items:

X-15 pop: 5 cents

Chocolate Chip Candy: 35 cents

2. frankieboy says:

when I was a kid we had ‘Bungalow Bar’, pretty much the same deal

the trucks now are dreadful, with the computerized chirping music
    how can things continually get worse?

3. ill lich says:

“a lollipop on a stick”

So. . . it had two sticks then? By definition a lollipop is already on a stick.

While many inventions are questionable in their worth I will never question the value of an ice cream bar on a stick.

I always believed that Donald Duncan (of Duncan Yo-Yos) had founded the Good Humor Ice Cream company.

6. Hank says:

Call me a Shorpy Snob, but the picture would be a whole lot better if they had a high-res version to go with it.

7. Susan Oliver says:

Was this the first food-on-a-stick?

This was sitting outside of the American History Museum on my walk to work this morning!

9. braininavat says:

You need good humor if you’re going to be listening to The Entertainer all day long every day.

10. bbonyx says:

Jolly Boy Sucker

Just had to come in to say that.

11. jakemg says:

“Jolly Boy Sucker” -The Official Candy Treat of NAMBLA

12. Garst says:

That article was not interesting at all. In fact, that was quite annoying seems how it got “The Candy Man” stuck in my head!

13. eaglescout1984 says:

“Ruth thought it was too messy to eat. To solve this problem, Burt took the advice of his son, Harry Jr., who suggested freezing wooden sticks used for the Jolly Boy Sucker into the ice cream as handles.”

Then someone else figured out people didn’t care it was messy and could save money by eliminating the stick and called it the “Klondike Bar”.