Electronic traffic sign warns of zombies!

22 Responses to “Electronic traffic sign warns of zombies!”

Even stranger are all the government sponsored golf /work projects around here (Cincinnati). I see the signs along a lot of highways. They show a guy with a putter lining up a shot and is bold enough to claim “Putting America to Work.” http://www.xerraireart.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/stimsigns.jpg

There was another one in Columbus, OH the other week. On my way into work I was driving past the new ballpark and the flashing road sign that usually says “Game Today” was reading “Caution: Zombies”. By 8:00am they were correcting it.. :(

3. jfrancis says:

What’s that in the road? A head?

4. foobar says:

Is it really “hacked” if you leave the default password in place?

no this is not an answer to urban runoff. attend your local metroblooms seminar maggie

6. Teller says:

Kentucky’s good with signs. My favorite on the side of a hwy store:

Gas. Food. Soda. Beer. TNT.

7. empollado says:

“There’s a warnin’ sign on the road ahead … there’s a lot of people sayin’ we’d be better off undead …”

8. tedder says:

retrofuturism hits boingboing!

It would have been more fun if Xeni had posted it both times :-)

9. oasisob1 says:

I saw one of these on 295 SB not far from BWI, yesterday and today, flashing the messages:

Speed Enforced
    Smooth Operator

What does it mean?

See this article on Jalopnik, as well as the older referenced articles.

Same thing happened in Austin two years ago:

12. flytch says:

insert the words “leaning on shovels” and it would just be any other highway job in america…

13. Tony Moore says:

nothing to fear, gang. It was just the line for the Creation Museum.

supposedly these signs are easy to hack… so I hear

15. hectorinwa says:

Driving through Nebraska, the most flat, straight, 300 miles I’ve ever driven, there was one of these saying “prepare to stop. Drug roadblock ahead” I freaked out and made my passenger throw away the pack of smokes that held the one lone joint we had in the car.

There was no roadblock.

• Anonymous says:

pwnt.

• gwailo_joe says:

Yes. . .they wait at the next turnout hoping to catch furtive drug flinging then pounce. You were lucky.

Budgets are way too tight for random roadblocks: just keep driving.

• Anonymous says:

Sorry you fell for one of the best cons in the book.

A clever teenager can get enough weed for all their friends if they comb the side of the road after putting up one of these signs.

16. emo hex says:

Please get serious, how could anyone not appreciate such a warning.
    All my windows would be up and no stopping rule enforced.
    I breath a huge sigh of relief and get home safely to read the next installment of BoingBoing.