Looking for a journalism job? AP's hiring for North Korea bureau

9 Responses to “Looking for a journalism job? AP's hiring for North Korea bureau”

1. travtastic says:

I hope they mention that NK has a lot of experience in long-term kidnapping of foreign nationals.

2. Csteph says:

Awww, I’d love to do something like this. I’d take it over some Hollywood celeb beat any day.

3. gornzilla says:

As an expat teacher (no, not ESL — at least currently), I’ve been trying to get a job in North Korea for a while. I would love to work there. The “easiest” way, which is by no means “easy” is to be a UK citizen or part of the Commonwealth. It’s a friggin’ pain in the ass for someone from the US to get a job there. And I haven’t even checked to see if I can as a US citizen. I like striving for the hard to reach to get it pulled out from under me.

4. pidg says:

Seriously though, that would be a pretty amazing experience. Wouldn’t want to do it for too long, but I imagine it’d be worth it just for the experience. Pay can’t be that bad, either, especially relative to whatever DPRK citizens get.

5. hpavc says:

I agree, that would be unique. Wish I was qualified.

6. Beriberi87 says:

I don’t know. The DPRK are really good at controlling visitors and showing them an extremely boring time. I doubt it would be any different for an AP reporter. How much time do you think someone qualified to report for the AP could stand to live there (as opposed to an ordinary slacker)?

7. lecti says:

I’m sure there’ll be a long line for this job. Yep.

• penguinchris says:

Yeah, there will be… I’d do it in a second. I’m a photographer but have no formal training or experience so I don’t have a shot, but that would be an epic assignment. A lot of people are both fascinated at and horrified with North Korea, and a post like that would give you the opportunity to see things no one else can and potentially even to do something about it, such as, in the extreme case, spying or otherwise assisting foreign governments if they ever decide to do something about the Kims.

There are few places left for adventurous types to work anymore… middle east war reporting is one thing, but there’s no romance in it. A reporting post in North Korea is classic adventure story territory.