20 Responses to “Pizzanomics: What's the link between cost of a NYC slice and cost of subway ride?”

1. Jake0748 says:

Its because, if you spend your subway money on a slice of pizza instead, you’re forced to walk, and burn up the extra calories.

Inflation.

Both items started off about the same price, then inflation kept them increasing by the same rate; so prices stay similar. Is this a surprise?

The MTA giving the cold shoulder? Surprise surprise.

4. AirPillo says:

Heh, I kind of feel sorry for the people outside the MTA, the guys seemed confrontational even though they were just having some fun.

5. Apreche says:

I love these guys. I saw their Bodega video years ago, and it is one of my all-time favorites.

6. jfrancis says:

What’s the relationship between the weight of a pizza and the number of toppings you order?

7. Major Variola (ret) says:

Free men have cars. Slave insects take NYC subways. Also, why so ugly?

Why a slice for a dollar? From expierience: cause they put hardly any sauce or cheese on it. Not good slices at all, unless you are realllly hungry. Like they say, when you are desperate, there is no such thing as a bad slice of pizza or bad sex.

Fun video, but it would be heaps more interesting if they actually, you know, SAID something. Like call the MTA and get a spokesperson, do they have an official line on it? Breakdown some more costs (the ONLY new thing I learned in this video was that the cost of flour went from $12 to $28 between 2006 & 2007).

No such thing as bad sex? For men, maybe.

Interesting that pizza and a bus token have cost the same for so long. In the late 60s, they were 15 cents each. The Daily News went from 7 to 8 cents around that time. Now, it’s $1. Still about half, eh? So, is somebody going to do graph of cheese and sauce to transportation to ink and paper prices? I think this would approach a Unified Field Theory in importance.

Not to quibble, though I am a quibbler, but MTA no longer uses tokens.

12. Mister Eppy says:

Offtopic: Doh! I used to live on church and East 2nd. F train in da hizzouse. Are the kosher deli and scarola’s still on church right there? Best ever lobster fra diavolo for 14 bucks.

Ontopic: I think both have been mapped to the price of a bottle of soda.

13. chgoliz says:

The Economist does a Big Mac index to show which world currencies appear to be over- or under-valued based on the relative cost of that particular delicacy in each market. They use McDonald’s as their source on a worldwide basis (here’s the one from January of this year), but crowdsourced the data for individual states in the US and provinces in China: Big Mac costs in 2011 in the US and China.

14. Anonarchist says:

Had to eat the last 2 slices I had in the fridge after this…
    Korner on Church and E 3rd

15. Jack says:

I grew up in Brooklyn. Live 5 minutes from MTA headquarters. Love the NYC subway. And have known people who have worked for the MTA as well. The MTA is one of the most corrupt entities in NYC. The cost of a fare has 100% nothing to do with anything connected to reality. A few token stations are cleaned and upgraded, but the vast majority of stations are treated like crap and have not changed one bit since the 1980s.

And that guy out of MTA headquarters who explains the fare is justified by the attitude of people they serve? What kind of nonsense is that? MTA workers are some of the rudest most self-centered assholes I have ever met in my life. I have never seen any city workers with such smug senses of entitlement elsewhere. Can’t get them to even basically help you and even the few remaining station clerks who do mostly nothing all day—since the MTA fare card machines have taken over their job—are jerks if you have to ask them for help doing the one or two things they still are supposed to do.

And no disrespect to “Tony’s Pizza” on Fulton and Adams (featured in this piece) but their pizza is dreck. Walk a few blocks over to Court Street & State Street to “My Little Pizzeria.” Or better yet go over to Henry Street near Pineapple Street to “Fascati.” That stuff is tons better.

• Itsumishi says:

Oh it makes me sad to hear people complain about the NYC subway system.

It might be old, hot and frequently smelly but it works damn it.

Here in the wonderful land of Oz (Australia) we don’t so much have the problem of smelly (very few stations are underground) but we’ve got all the other problems, and nothing fucking works.

Oh damn I missed my train… oh well 30 minutes until the next one… oh wait that’s been cancelled, guess I’ll be here an hour.

• eggonstilts says:

It’s no different here in San Francisco. BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) have the rudest customer service I’ve ever encountered and their employees are overpaid. The stations are clean enough though. However, the cars are fitted with fabric seating and carpeted which are stained with hair product, urine and excrement.