What happens when middle-aged ladies swear

15 Responses to “What happens when middle-aged ladies swear”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Miss Manners once said something to the effect that a lady might use the occasional expletive but shouldn’t have one printed on her sweatshirt.

2. kmoser says:

F**k people who don’t provide emotional support to those who swear.

3. mercator says:

The assumption that middle aged women swear less than other members of society seems weak. I’m fucking ‘middle-aged’ and it seems my generation does as much goddamn cursing as any other age group.

Well, shit.

5. traalfaz says:

I’m sure I won’t be the first to mention that Mythbusters covered this last season.

I don’t give a flying fuck if people don’t like me swearing. I don’t do it in front of my mother-in-law or other easily startled people, but, as Mercator says, I grew up in the 70′s and I’m not going to get little-old-lady amnesia. I mean to be a salty old broad someday and that takes practice!

Lee Rowan

7. veuve says:

Oh please. Those of us who are “middle-aged” grew up in the 70′s, not the 50′s. Does the author think there was no swearing going on in that decade of innocence (note sarcasm)?

This seems like it isn’t doing enough to show causality, not just correlation.

Isn’t it entirely plausible that someone would get more rude/verbally aggressive with people who they feel disappointed by? (for example, family & friends who aren’t lending them the support that they desire)

• knoxblox says:

I’m thinking the same thing. Wouldn’t observing sufferers of arthritis and breast cancer bring so many more variables to have to deal with?

I believe when you get to certain age that people don’t care or listen. it’s like the “she’s ok she’s just old” attitude. you get away with a lot of being able to say what you really think.I tell it like it is and if you don’t like it then don’t listen. I really am at a point that I don’t care what people think.I feel that I am not here for you but just to live life.judge me as you will but I am not going to lose sleep over it.

10. the r kelly says:

I only have one anecdote that sticks out. An ex girlfriend who normally didn’t swear much, would occasionally become frustrated, often while driving, and start swearing. The swearing in itself wasn’t what got to me, but the fact that she really enunciated and articulated the words. Usually when people say “piece of shit” they kind of roll through the syllables. She would really articulate each on, including hitting “of” fully, and it just struck me as her being basically inconsolable. I really, really hated that; it was probably the worst aspect of her otherwise wonderful personality.

11. knoxblox says:

As far as expectations go, I feel I can trust a woman who swears comfortably (at least when kids aren’t around).

“swearing relieved pain.”

I’d say sex is even more effective. It works wonders on my wife’s headaches and cramps. The next best thing to morphine. Most folks just don’t enough especially as we get older.

I’m middle-aged (46) and I can assure you, I curse like a motherfucker.