Designing and 3D printing 30 coffee cups in 30 days

13 Responses to “Designing and 3D printing 30 coffee cups in 30 days”

1. oschene says:

Curses! Forestalled again!

2. kimberlychapman says:

I made a loud nerdgasm noise when I realized they were doing Kleiny things in ceramic on a 3D printer. Some of us had to do it by hand in the olden days of 2004 (http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/ceramics.html#ceramickleinbottles).

I want one of these printers so bad that I’m twitching.

hi, thanks for the comments.

the cup is an approximation to a klein bottle,
    its geometry it is based on existing “glass klein bottles” http://bit.ly/iuPqp8

*note to who bought the cups:
    1st, thank you
    2nd, these cups are small, espresso type. 45mm diameter (1.7 inches).

I’ll post photos of the actual cup soon.

cunicode

4. dargaud says:

Long time ago I saw some other solids whose inside connects continuously with the outside, such as the Klein bottle, but those actually did exist in our 3D world, unlike the Klein bottle. Anybody can point to such a list with pics ?

5. Sylvester McMonkey McBean says:

Just me or does that cup look like a bog roll?

6. capsteve says:

i wouldn’t want to clean a klein cup(or bottle), i might never find the bottom of the cup!

I just got the first 3DPrinted Cup in Ceramics,
    see it here: http://bit.ly/3DModel_vs_3DPrint

Cunicode

8. wxwax says:

I love Boing Boing.

But I confess to being a little perplexed by the high number of entries on 3D printing.

9. knappa says:

Cory, I feel sort of bad posting this since it seems like you took the criticism last time personally. Also, because this time, my complaint _is_ somewhat pedantic*. You’ve correctly described the 3-dimensional solid Klein bottle, but not the Klein bottle. The Klein bottle is the boundary. (Like how the circle is the boundary of the disc, or the sphere the boundary of a ball.) Both the Klein bottle and the Mobius band are two dimensional.

*: Last time was about as pedantic as correcting someone who calls all animals “dogs”.

10. westbywest says:

I believe the Siamese Cup would be better named the Quato Cup. Then I might buy it, despite being broke.

Wikipedants

12. tubacat says:

Adding a slight bit of topological pedantry – the cup (or any similar 3-dimensional shape) is actually just a model of a Klein bottle, since in a true Klein bottle, the handle has to connect with the rim (from the inside) without breaking the surface (no holes)…