Go the Fuck to Shul

10 Responses to “Go the Fuck to Shul

1. Anony Mouse says:

I dunno, I’m pretty meh about the original. I mean, I think it’s a cute idea, but firstly it’s not funny enough to be worth publishing, more like a B grade internet rage face meme funny – and secondly the scansion of some of the lines is diabolically bad. Go the fuck to poetry school!

2. Micah says:

I assume this is a direct reaction to the following quote from a stupidly overreactive CNN opinion piece:

“Imagine if this were written about Jews, blacks, Muslims or Latinos,” says Dr. David Arredondo.

Imagine no more!

3. Micah says:

D’oh. I just clicked through and saw that this actually WAS written in direct reaction to that stupid quote.

4. RebNachum says:

Meh. There’s an undercurrent of anger in the Tablet parody that’s lacking in the original. To me, this renders the parody less charming.

• Ari B. says:

I’m not sure I agree. The original has a definite undercurrent of increasing frustration that starts to get angry at the end. Listen to Sam Jackson’s reading, he captures it awfully well.

• RebNachum says:

Sure, but the parent still loves the child. In Tablet’s parody, where’s the love? (I actually didn’t mean that ironically. Stupid contextual culture.)

It would be funnier if I knew what ‘shul’ meant.

6. katkins says:

Hah, reminds me of the story told by Larry Adler
    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Adler ) about being grilled by Al Capone as a young man… Capone was very concerned that Larry wasn’t skipping out on his proper education and filial duties being a musician at age 14 or 15.

Ah, found it:

7. chgoliz says:

It’s also less universal. Every single person on this planet has at some point or another been the kind of baby, toddler, or child that had their parents muttering “go the fuck to sleep already”.