Mobile home with a mobile lawn

21 Responses to “Mobile home with a mobile lawn”

This goes along with the Micro or Mini Home Movement that is really coming to fruition these days! There are some great books and blogs about mini homes. Most people build them on a trailer these days, cool stuff something I am seriously thinking about for retirement.

2. g0d5m15t4k3 says:

Its my dream to have a Vardo. But I will have to get rich to get a nice one seeing as I an NOT a handy-lady.

3. Mark Crummett says:

Thankfully, people like this still live in Portland.

4. yclept says:

The lawn makes this just perfect.

I’m looking at the guy and the ‘house’ and wondering if he sleeps across the diagonal or maybe his feet go on the passenger seat?

6. MollyMaguire says:

That’s cool. Made me think of this book:

7. PaulR says:

Yeah, it’s all fine and dandy, but I bet that Mr. Miller only had a small flat-screen TV in there.

8. ScavengerCat says:

I carried my own grass for 200,000 miles, but that was back when I was following the Phish tour.

9. Mander says:

Well, you’re gonna get live-ins.

10. knoxblox says:

I wonder if this is where Jay Shafer got the idea for his tumbleweed houses from?

Still, a little more room than this, though:

11. Roy Trumbull says:

One of my favorite 1960s folk singers and characters in the San Francisco Bay area was Ale Ekstrom. He dressed as an old time tar (sailor) and played the concertina. No one had seen him for awhile. I was in the Golden Gate Park Panhandle a few blocks from what would become known as the Haight. Built on the bed of an antique flat bed truck was a gypsy wagon with every detail you could imagine. Behind the wheel was Ale. He’d spent months building it. It was a real traffic stopper. He did say the cops and Highway Patrol would pull him over just to get a good look at it.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Sometime in the 90s, I saw a heavily-decorated vardo being hauled down 19th Avenue by a pick-up truck, going about 60mph.

12. ackpht says:

Between early 20th century roads and early 20th century tires, I wonder how many flats he had in 200k miles of driving.

• Jake0748 says:

First of all, I think back then they were called tyres. I’m thinking he carried some three or a dozen spares. Probably never drove much over 30 mph. Wasn’t in a hurry. By my calculation, he crossed the continental US about 65 times. Talk about “On the Road”! I just hope he had fun and wish he had written a book about it.

Mark Crummett, when you write, “Thankfully, people like this still live in Portland.”, do you mean you are glad they live there and not in the rest of the country or where you live?

Just kidding! ;-)

14. Stefan Jones says:

A guy at Maker Faire had a similar vehicle, albeit more lawn-centric:

(Note: View with red-cyan glasses for stereo!)

Parallel evolution?

15. rebdav says:

If we search the archives we will surely find he had equipped this vehicle with an early prototype of the Keep Portland Weird bumper stickers.

16. Lincoln says:

Now this is the kind of town-pride we need in todays society. I saw a couple of teen-agers vandalizing property yesterday. I showed ‘em what was what, but it saddened me deeply to see them not care about the livelihood and well-being of their town. I would like to introduce them to this Charles fellow, perhaps that would fix them up proper.

17. Jake0748 says:

What Lincoln said.

Now… how long do we have to wait for someone to say, “hey you kids, g** o** m* l**n”? :D