Yaya and Friends: Athens, Greece, ca. 1927 (photo, Boing Boing Flickr Pool)

17 Responses to “Yaya and Friends: Athens, Greece, ca. 1927 (photo, Boing Boing Flickr Pool)”

1. sokun says:

Looks a bit like the last tzars of russia before they were assassinated

2. voiceinthedistance says:

What happened to Yaya’s cigarette? Someone give her a smoke.

3. blueelm says:

This photograph is so awesome.

4. Jack says:

The submitter’s grandma is kind of hot … Her friends as well!

5. scooterscooter says:

I partied with all four at Burning Man. They’re as awesome as they look.

6. bklynchris says:

Given that I have just come back from Greece, can say I very much appreciate this photo. Greece is AMAZING. Total vacation trifecta:mind blowing beaches, tasty locavore food (when on the islands), and history/ruins that make your brain spin.

I am amazed that the Greeks gave up the gods who gave us architecture, math, and democracy wholesale for a bearded hippie who offered something unavailable until after death.

Off to the link. Again, thank you BoingBoing/Xeni, and of course, bigfatstupidslob (no wonder the name was unavailable when I registered for it on flicker. Instead I had to go with bigfatstupidlazyslob LOL).

The women in the back are dressed like young men from the streets. The women in the foreground are wearing sparkly head dresses and their attire is totally different from the women behind them. It seems obvious they’re posing as boys and girls which is pretty awesome given the time and place this photo was taken.

Yiayia is, of course, grandmother in Greek. What a cool photo!

9. Antinous / Moderator says:

Makes me wonder if David Sedaris’s grandmother started out like this.

10. querent says:

I call top left.

11. Gar the Pitiless says:

I second the hot yaya, but I’d be hitting on her friend in the lower left corner, myself.

I love this photo, too.

Actually, dressing up in costumes for studio portraits, especially exotic and slightly scandalous costumes, was a very popular thing in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (Also, women dressing as boys and men was particularly fashionable in the 20′s and 30′s, at a time when women wearing pants was just beginning to become more accepted.)

We have a photo from around the early 1900′s depicting my husband’s grandfather (then in his early twenties) and two of his buddies dressed like bootleggers and/or gamblers, complete with a bottle of whiskey.

Looks like Yaya is the only non-smoker of the group, at least for this particular photo.

(Unless they were just using the cigarettes as props)

My Yia-Yia did stuff like that too with her sisters but not in Greece…btw the clothes look Turkish to me!

15. Baron Karza says:

Were they Sisters, in the old-fashioned sense of the word? (i.e. Black Dahlia)

16. Church says:

1927? Shouldn’t that be public domain?

The genderf*ckery, the smoking (You’ve come a long way, baby), the faux exoticism, the hotness of all 4 women … this picture screams “insta-classic.” Thanks for sharing….