Gallery of 1970s sticker art

8 Responses to “Gallery of 1970s sticker art”

1. InsertFingerHere says:

Reminds me of a link my friend sent me last week. The 1985 catalog is somehow still very vivid in my mind. This used to be almost cutting-edge tech back in the day.

From Popular Mechanics, April 1973:
    “YOU NEED A LOT OF BREAD to go racing. The secret to winning races, according to some competitors, is not cubic inches but cubic money! Wonder Bread, made by ITT-Continental Baking, is supplying the dough for a pair of Funny Cars that’ll be running the drag strips this season. The ‘Wonderwagons,’ on Vega panel trucks, are powered by Ed Pink-prepared Chryslers displacing 494 cu. in. and churning up 1500 horsepower on 92 percent nitro fuel. Quarter-mile speeds should be in the range of 220-mph range. Any way you slice it, that will be real competition for the Funny Car Eliminators”

Yeah, if the driver isn’t reduced to toast.

3. Halloween Jack says:

Reminds me of some of the ads for T-shirts that I’d see in comics in the seventies. There would be some pretty innocuous designs (Rat Fink hot rods, R. Crumb’s “Keep On Truckin’”) mixed in with raunchier stuff (the Playboy logo, pot leaves, that two-feet-pointing-down-in-between-two-feet-pointing up thing that I was too young to know that it indicated people having sex in the missionary position).

4. nosehat says:

I especially like this obviously unlicensed sheet of Star Wars stickers, featuring the misspelled “Darth Vadar” and “See Threepio”

5. sokun says:

Cool picture

6. von Bobo says:

nice find Cory!

7. knoxblox says:

Wow! So many stickers I remember from my childhood.

I remember how much I loved the STP stickers more than any other. They were of the sturdiest construction, you could feel the embossing of the letters, and they gave off a smell that was ten times more intoxicating than a mimeographed sheet.

Of course, now that I know about off-gassing, sniffing stickers when I was a kid might not have been such a good idea…

8. CognitiveDissident says:

Ozzy for president!

(Relax, it’s impossible unless they change the Constitution.)

Ozzy as President: plus.
    Sharon as First Lady: MINUS!