Meat Mix

By Rob Beschizza

Between the vintage meat industry infomercial doing the rounds again, @GlennF pointing out that there may be bits of hundreds of cows in a single pack of hamburger, and my longstanding love of this YouTube, I thought a quick tribute to all three was in order. [Video Link] The music is titled "Some sort of machine pooping out big blobs of meat."

Published 8:40 am Wed, Jul 6, 2011

About the Author

20 Responses to “Meat Mix”

1. ncarp says:

It’s as if Francis Bacon (the painter, not the statesman) directed a film.

2. -v- says:

That’s just about the snappiest song title I’ve ever heard.

3. bigtoejoe says:

Not sure what the point is…supposed to gross me out? I’m getting hungry just watching.

I’m not sure what the point is either. When over 300,000,000 people, almost all of whom live in cities and have absolutely no skills they may direct at providing their own food, must be feed, the task requires an industrial capability. Should the ‘food machine’ shut down for a week, we will be eating eat other on 5th avenue, and it won’t be in French. The food we select from in the United States is about as safe to eat as it can get. That’s just a fact.

5. xunker says:

Place on plate.

6. cratermoon says:

Those are airline passengers in the US after going through new TSA screeners that look for surgically implanted bombs.

7. dargaud says:

I love eating meat, which is why I don’t understand at all why people eat GROUND meat:
    – it doesn’t taste like meat (correction, it doesn’t taste like anything)
    – it’s made of anything but meat: sinew, bone fragments, enzymes used to mix it all up, sugar (for McDo) and a whole other lot of crap.
    – it’s the fastest way to get sick with Escherichia Coli and its cousins.
    Why would anybody with more than a tooth left want to eat that shit ?

• Anonymous says:

I guess you are the rare meat-eater who has never had a hamburger, taco, or sausage.

Raw muscle is clearly the food all zombies should eat! ;)

8. gwailo_joe says:

I like the plunging of the slabs of fat. . .and the whistle of course.

9. Eye Open Doors says:

That is neater skeeter!

Meh, I. Would have thought that the manner I which the animals are raised and then killed should be of real concern. After the deed is done all this looks pretty much as you’d expect.

11. necaver says:

This is why I avoid buying ground meat

12. bnschlz says:

I hadn’t realized the fat and meat were first separated and then mixed back together. Makes sense to be able to control the ratio accurately, much like cream/skim milk.

Processing tech is pretty cool. It’s also particularly effective at pulling perspective, since we’re so used to the start and end points, but not to the scale of the process.

The plural is not cows, it’s cattle. Unless you absolutely, positively know that all the animals used were female bovines. This is similar to using ‘mares’ as the plural of horses and ‘bitches’ as the plural of dogs. Or to turn it around, to use ‘cocks’ as the plural of chickens.

14. Rob Beschizza says:

And yet, “there may be bits of hundreds of cows” remains correct, even if it omits the hundreds of male cattle that are also in the Meat Mix.

15. footage says:

Much nicer, fully downloadable copy in the Prelinger collection at Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/this_is_hormel

16. millie fink says:

OMG, ugh. How can y’all eat that shit?!!

Industrial meat is for IRL zombies.

I would LOVE to eat steak and misc. other meats not put through a grinder first, but hey, not all of us can afford it.

A bit of ground up cow bits is the highlight of my week. The rest of the time it’s….Ramen noodles.

18. Glippiglop says:

I love mince (spaghetti bolognese anyone?) but some of that brown stuff towards the end looks pretty putrid. Red meat should always be a lovely blood red no matter what it’s been through. At a guess I’d think that particular stuff was destined for the frozen hamburger market.