Nate Dimeo's latest episode of the excellent Memory Palace podcast is about renegade architect Bradford Gilbert, designer of what's considered to be New York City's first skyscraper, the Tower Building. When it was completed in 1889, the Tower Building was the first steel-framed curtain wall skyscraper and, as such, raised concerns that it would topple over in the wind. The controversy led to Gilbert climbing the building during a hurricane to prove everyone wrong... "Memory Palace Episode 38: A Stretch"
Discuss Next post
- Memory Palace: PT Barnum's "Natural Curiosity" - Boing Boing
- Memory Palace: William James Sidis, prodigy - Boing Boing
- Memory Palace podcast about serial imposter Stanley Clifford ...
- Memory Palace podcast: Lost Lobsters - Boing Boing
- Memory Palace: Halley's Comet - Boing Boing
- Cargo Cult origin on the Memory Palace Podcast - Boing Boing