• Gallery width: wide medium skinny

The annual World Bodypainting Festival was held in Poertschach last weekend, on lake Woerthersee in Austria's southern Carinthia province. Photographer Heinz-Peter Bader was present to shoot the spectacular wildlife in attendance.

21 Responses to “Painted People: pics from the World Bodypainting Festival (nudity)”

1. jgalette says:

Holy hell. I’ve seen tons of shots of the festival on facebook but none this high quality. Looks like all the work produced was truly top-notch.

Because it’s topical and because some folks might be interested in body art – any boingboing readers who live near Philadelphia should absolutely take the time to visit Gallery ML, the world’s only collective body art gallery.

Several member’s of it’s artists members competed including Scott Fray & Madelyn Greco who came in 1st and Yolanda Bartram and Lawren Alice (the gallery’s director/resident artist) who came in 4th.

Full disclosure: I know the folks who run the gallery and do press for them. They’re a great bunch of young, talented and passionate artists and photographers, and they’re doing an amazing thing for the craft.

2. Cowicide says:

Did anyone notice in the last, “bottom” picture up there the guy in the blue shirt crouched in the middle holding his, um, camera?

He takes “staring longingly” to a whole ‘nuther level.

3. Cowicide says:

I love that picture with the dock in the background. In the background, someone should photoshop that scene from Caddyshack where the rich group are christening the boat.

On a side note, the Jesus Christ guy shouldn’t be wearing any pants.

4. rektruax says:

Titties!!! YYyyyaaaayyy!!!!

5. technogeek says:

Very impressive work.

I have no interest in wearing a tat, but something more transient could be fun… if done by an artist of this caliber. Unfortunately there’s a shortage of demand for overweight middle-aged guys as models.

6. Heloïse says:

Wonderfully beautiful !

7. chgoliz says:

Exquisite! I especially enjoyed the modernistic feel of the artistry on the model with feather eyelashes and star earrings. I wish we had a full body shot to see the rest of the work.

8. technogeek says:

I do want to know where I can get the feline facial prosthesis. It may be custom, of course — take facial cast, cast a positive, build up with clay, cast latex from that.

9. RebNachum says:

Wonderful, creative, and interestingly non-erotic. As a praktikalnik, I wonder how can they bear to shower afterward?

• technogeek says:

Showering: Same as with any make-up or temporary body art, or any garb you’re asked to model. You accept that it’s just a loan, enjoy the heck out of it while you’re wearing it, and hope someone gets photos you really like and lets you have copies.

What’s the park department’s motto — “Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints”?

10. Antinous / Moderator says:

So there’s only one guy. And he’s got Jesus painted on him. I’m sticking with Halloween in San Francisco for all my body-painting voyeurism needs.

ithink its art because they are not hard to look at befor and afterthe subjectsare much more erotic and beatiful.

12. catgrin says:

I love that crucifixion boy is so well done (even to the makeup on his face) that his startlingly flesh-toned head appears at first glance to be Photoshopped! I agree will all those who are calling out that he definitely should not be in the sling. ;)

Another favorite bit would be the lips on the girl directly after the makeup pot shot. The dry-painted petals are shaped correctly to follow the natural creases in the skin, and so they add to the effect, while hiding her thin mouth line. Really a beautiful makeup job!

13. petroleum says:

These are great. Thanks for posting high quality shots of the event.

I agree with Cowicide, the model with the Crucifixion on his body should’ve not been wearing his skivvies; neither should the rest of the models.

Maybe it was a family event. I dunno. Breasts are ok, but O’Keeffe flowers and twig ‘n berries aren’t?