Cuba's first-ever zombie/horror film, "Juan of the Dead"

14 Responses to “Cuba's first-ever zombie/horror film, "Juan of the Dead"”

The director is Cuban. The production company is Cuban. And it was shot in Cuba. Almost nothing was smuggled. As far as I know. And I shot it. I should know.

2. kawayama says:

awesome.

3. VICTOR JIMENEZ says:

“-Este no es un disidente…”
    “-¿Vampiros?”

Maybe a reference to the classic “Vampiros en la Habana”?

Looks hilarious my bets are in it.

“-¡Esos no son americanos, viejo!”

4. Jack Daniel says:

They had me with that shot of the mutant ’57 Chevy tearing through the swarm. Hasta La Victoria, Muerte!

5. The Hamster King says:

I can’t stop smiling.

6. tincansongbird says:

This one looks like a winner. Hopefully, somebody can get it into the US.

I hate to get all political in a post like this, but media like Juan de los Muertos is important to Americans, whether they know it or not. It shows us that Cubans are not crazed, humorless commies or terrified victims of some comic book villain. They’re quite a bit like us, really. Knowing and accepting that can help get the embargo lifted. As long as the neighbors remain mysterious and dehumanized, it’s too easy for our leadership to justify their McCarthyist “punishment” of them.

• Anonymous says:

Just to be clear this isn’t really a Cuban movie — it’s a Spanish director/crew that went to Cuba as tourists and smuggled in some effects gear and a Red camera and shot parts of the movie there, and then went back home and finished and produced it.

It would be more honest to say that it’s a Spanish zombie/horror comedy *SET* in Cuba and using elements of Cuban culture and history as story elements.

Still looks awesome though.

7. falnfenix says:

hee, i hope it makes its way to the US.

8. IronEdithKidd says:

I soooo want to see this film. I fucking love a zombie comedy flick.

Even more than showing Americans that Cubans really are humans, this movie shows us that Cuba isn’t as isolated from the rest of the planet as our fabulous political class would prefer us to believe.

• jupiterkansas says:

Movies and books and art tell us things about foreign countries our governments would rather us not know — that the people “over there” are just as human as we are. It makes things like war and the exploitation of another country’s resources that much more difficult.

It’s said that culture and science know no borders. It’s awesome that the internet is so easily able to cross borders as well.

9. Elijah says:

*laughing* Oh, that kicks nine kinds of ass. Maybe even ten. I’d pay good money to see this. Big up to all involved.

totally not the first horror film out of havana. saw ¡Vampiros en La Habana! on netflix the other day. from 1985

Anon,
    The film director Alejandro Brugués is from Cuba, the main production company is also from Cuba.