Final space shuttle launch, as seen from booster camera (video)

17 Responses to “Final space shuttle launch, as seen from booster camera (video)”

1. Jake0748 says:

These are awesome. Am I wrong, or is this the first time we’ve seen video from the boosters? I know there have been cameras mounted on the external tank before, but I don’t recall seeing THIS vantage point.

2. m in athens says:

Beautiful! The launch, well, sure, but the falling is also amazing!

This is the most amazing thing I’ve seen on youtube… EVER

4. annoyingmouse says:

The parts where you see the shuttle flying off into the distance (e.g. 7:01 – 7:08 & 23:07-23:13 in the video) are incredible.

5. Phikus says:

Needed a soundtrack. You’re welcome.

6. That Evening Sun says:

Right after launch, the SRB’s are set to about 75 percent thrust. After the orbiter breaks the sound barrier and passes through the range of maximum dynamic forces, launch control gives the okay to throttle up to maximum thrust for orbital entry. Watch around 70 seconds after launch as the column of fire lengthens as she throttles up. Amazing footage

• mccrum says:

Hate to be pedantic but you can’t throttle up the SRBs, they burn at full strength until they’re empty. Main engines, however…

7. anansi133 says:

I’m having a flashback to every 4th of July fireworks show I’ve seen this decade. The spectacle is impressive. I marvel at the technical expertise that makes such sights possible.

And for all of the eye candy, I’m also aware of the symbolism that I’m supposed to be feeling but am not.

It’s been a hell of a ride, and I will be very glad when this crew is safe on the ground and it will be over.

8. Editz says:

There are some older booster videos where they apparently had a microphone on the camera. The sound falling back through the atmosphere is surreal.

I think I came during the first separation. Awe-inspiring… O_O

10. dysumner says:

Here’s a video of the footage from the two intertank cameras side by side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36jOdBi5tdY The sound is amazing.

11. Charles Hacskaylo says:

Incredible! Particularly love the right intertank separation starting at 27:50. The revolving point of view, blazing sun alternating with black sky and mottled, cloud-choked earth, coupled with the amazing ambient/industrial soundtrack of the recorded audio is absolutely sublime.

and here’s a link to the shuttle crew getting a personal wakeup call from Michael Stipe singing them “Man on the Moon” – just shy of the 42nd moon landing anniversary!

13. JPW says:

Gotta love the unintentional Biosphere-esque soundtrack at 11:44. Maybe he’ll turn it into a new album.