Fish uses tool

10 Responses to “Fish uses tool”

1. MacBookHeir says:

Even as a kid I was uncomfortable when folks would assign the word “tool” to things used by members of other species to get through their daily activities (the ant covered twig “tool” used by chimps, for instance) If you asked this tuskfish what it was doing, it might tell you that it’s using a “thing” from its immediate environment to get something to eat. A “tool” is our word, not the tuskfish’s word (if tuskfish have words…) I know this all enters into the gray world of semantics, but we humans tend to mis-apply our terms and phrases to members of the innocent animal world – and then we screw up their world(s) – great photo!

2. Jardine says:

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Awww shit.

The fish would be “using a tool” if it lifted a stone to hit the cockle until it cracks. Just hitting the cockle against a hard surface doesn’t qualify (in my and plenty of other people’s opinion). “Using a tool” requires manipulating the item that is the tool.

• LB says:

Addtionally, I thought that a “tool” was an object that the animal would use again, a single-use object is an “implement”

• querent says:

So those manual orange juicers (the ones you smash 1/2 an orange down on) aren’t tools? What about anvils?

Go fish! I say we save to planet till we at least know how cool it is.

First photographic evidence? Perhaps. Not first documentation:
    “Several species of wrasses are known to use rocks as anvils. They hold scallops or urchins in their mouth and smash them against the surface of a rock to break them up and get at the meat.”

Soon they will be walking and using computers as tools to comment on boingboing like the rest of us.

I for one welcome our new Tuskfish overlords…