3 Little Pigs rendered into Papua New Guinea pidgin

21 Responses to “3 Little Pigs rendered into Papua New Guinea pidgin”

1. My Dad turned up for work one day in PNG. He was shown the broken piece of equipment he had been brought from Aus to fix. It had a sign on it which said “I BUGA UP”.

2. haha, in dutch this is extra funny. liklik pik translates as: licklick cock :P

3. shiftdelete says:

“Na piky talk..  Na wile doggy talk..”

This could totally be remixed into some crazy hiphop or dubstep samples. Anyone??

4. Skye MacLeod says:

Technically this isn’t a pidgin, it’s a creole. A pidgin is a first generation language that happens when people who have different language backgrounds (typically slaves) are forced to speak a common language to communicate with each other (usually the slave master’s language). It’s highly erratic syntactically and there are frequent changes in grammar and vocabulary because there are so many linguistic influences. When the pidgin speakers have kids, the little ones standardize the language in terms of syntax and vocabulary. This standardized language is called a creole. This pidgin–>creole process has been used as an argument for universal grammar.

5. jhhl says:

I started looking into Tok Pisin in the 70s as a language to use for artificial intelligence conversations, since it’s pretty simple. I like it a lot!
    em tasol!

6. billstewart says:

It looks much farther from English than the Hawaiian pidgin dialects (though those are closer to English today than they were a century ago.)  Hawaiian pidgin supported not only Hawaiian speakers, but also Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, and Filipino farm workers.

I’m curious how they would have rendered “wolf”, since wolves aren’t native to the area.  There are tigers on Sumatra (don’t know if they made it to PNG), and some Polynesians had dogs.

7. Micheal Paige Gmaz Sandbank says:

Skye, I thought the same thing as soon as I read this post, but then realized it’s the name of the language.  Good linguistic eye!

• Guest says:

Nope, not true! Look! :D

‘A creole language, or simply a creole, is a stable, natural language developed from the mixing of parent languages; creoles differ from pidgins (which are believed by scholars to be necessary precedents of creoles) in that they have been nativized by children as their primary language, making them have features of natural languages that are normally missing from pidgins.’ Wow… :D

8. Guest says:

‘Me mind gi’ me se de mek me de’

[My mind gives me that I exist] causes [(the fact that) I exist]

‘I think therefore I am’ in Guyanese Creole! :D

(runs away)

9. ncm says:

Joe Hadley did a lot of this with Hawaiian Pidgin, superbly, in the early ’70s.  It’s hard to find copies nowadays.

10. onafilloy says:

In Vanuatu the Pidgin is very similar to New Guinea and it is called Bislama. I am a great lover of this language and have discovered some great old Pidgin translations.
    “Mixmaster Blong Jesus Christ” meaning helicopter. Prince Charles is called ” Nambawan Pikinini Blong Missus Kwin”. And how about “Basket Blong Titi” meaning Bra.
    I was so intrigued by the language that I had to illustrate some of these gorgeous translations.
    http://onafilloy.blogspot.com/  I call this series of artwork ‘Pidgin Tok Tok’

11. onafilloy says:

Question: “Yu no gat wan ting ting?…….”

Reply: “I stret nomo!”

12. Lobes says:

Toksave: In Papua New Guinea pigs are used as currency so this story would have even more resonance.

13. Chris Loch says:

I spent 4 or so years of my childhood in Bougainville, PNG… and we had a copy of this. Man, this is truly bizarre.

If you are interested, I recommend you check out George Telek and String Band Music… There was also a great album by Not Drowning Waving called Tabiraan which was a collaboration with a variety of PNG musicians including Telek.

has some cool drumming and a nice Bougainville sunset…

14. Robert Engle says:

i was amazed at how oddly beautiful the language was  its very musical  i couldnt wait to hear more