Not quite Kickstarted: Robots Love Ice Cream iPad game

12 Responses to “Not quite Kickstarted: Robots Love Ice Cream iPad game”

1. Blank says:

Reminiscent of http://armorgames.com/user/Hamumu ‘s entire series of metroid-vania Robot Wants games. Only flashier.

2. Pedro Rica says:

$18.950 ??? What happened to the old investing your time into a project you believe in, publishing it and waiting for the results?
    If it’s really worth it, you shouldn’t need any funding. It’s software. It’s an iPad game, no matter how complex it can be (it’s a matter of time). Everyone already knows that throwing money or people at a problem isn’t going to solve it…

I can be totally wrong also…

3. Why can’t they just make the game? There is a very low barrier to enter the App Store. 100$ to get access and submit n amount of games. As a developer, I don’t feel that is much need to get preorders / funding etc since they are doing everything themselves. Why not just put the time in with nothing up front and then sell it on the app store?

4. pimlottc says:

I view Kickstarter projects with some skepticism.  I’m all for the idea of crowd sourcing, but most of the pitches seem to be made solely on the basis of good will and enthusiasm.  They said it’s their first iOS game and offer very little evidence that they have the technical and organization skills to pull off a project like this.  Sure, they have some cool design sketches but there’s more than that to game development.

I’d be interested to see some numbers about the true Kickstarter success rate; not just how many projects get funded, but how many actually accomplish everything they planned.

• mat catastrophe says:

Their page says the money is to get some developers, which I understood when I read the Kickstarter ToS was pretty much a no-no. So, I don’t get it.

• joe blough says:

ah i see, they arent programmers. didn’t know that about the kickstarter TOS.

• mat catastrophe says:

Well, it’s been about 8 weeks since I read it, so I could be getting it wrong. But there are some interesting stipulations on what they will and what accept to post. The site says that only “projects” are acceptable and that “business ideas” are out.

I suppose there’s no way to know if they got it accepted without the part about looking for programmers.

5. joe blough says:

last night i was going to post the same thing. the apple app store has gone a long, long way t opening up the market to random people. i don’t see why they need any money upfront to do this unless they just have no other source of income… but its a free country and they can do whatever they want to do to get funding.

6. Blaine says:

I’ve started to hate kickstarter. I really, really, really wanna be a cool guy and contribute but… why exactly should I give them $10 now for a game I can probably buy on iPad for $2 when it comes out? Unless of course they plan on selling it for $10, in which case I can support such a hideously run business plan.

7. herartsheloves says:

Oh, awesome they met their goal. I approve of all robot goodness.

8. JavaMoose says:

Well, if you dislike Kickstarter that much, you could try to start a Kickstarter project to raise enough money to buy Kickstarter.  Then, after you buy out Kickstarter you could shut down Kickstarter…then you wouldn’t ever hear of Kickstarter again.  Well, except for all the articles about you using Kickstarter to buy Kickstarter just to shut Kickstarter down.