Pewter model of the Texas School Book Depository

39 Responses to “Pewter model of the Texas School Book Depository”

1. ComradeQuestions says:

Somewhere recently I saw a poll question, “if you die and go to Heaven, what do you want God to say to you?”  I think He can save himself a lot of one-on-one time by posting a sign at the pearly gates:

“Lee Harvey Oswald shot Kennedy, and he did it all by himself.  -G”

2. nosehat says:

From the link:

For assassination researchers, it is well worth owning. … I highly recommend it be acquired by serious investigators.

O_o
    Really?  Someone’s going to get this, put it on their desk, look at it, and suddenly discover … what exactly?

3. Nylund says:

I literally just drove past this building.  Every time I do so, I get creeped out by the fact that there are X’s painted in the lane marking the precise locations where the bullets hit JFK.  Its just weird.  They look so mundanely municipal.  Its like, “Oh what are those marks?  Is that where the water main is?”  “Nope.  That is where the leader of free world was murdered in broad daylight.”

• Maddy says:

Me too!  I just drove by it twice this weekend.  It’s so weird to suddenly realize, “hey, I’m driving on the same spot where I’ve watched that guy get killed over and over” …

4. dagfooyo says:

I had no idea there was a giant ad for a rent-a-car company on top of the building.

5. Art says:

It’s a riddle,
    wrapped in an enigma,
    and handsomely electroplated in antique pewter :)

6. Jeff says:

At first glance, I thought it was made of chocolate :(

7. Nate Cougill says:

I need another pewter model like I need another hole in my head

8. The date on the bottom goes back and to the left. Back and to the left.

9. Bruce Heerssen says:

Next they should make a pewter replica of the University of Texas clock tower.

10. RJ says:

I’m getting one to display next to my gold-plated headphone amp.

11. mccrum says:

This will go so well with my pewter Ford’s Theatre and pewter Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station, I must collect the whole set…

12. fnarf says:

You’d think they could have done something to prevent this horrible tragedy, what with the date printed right there on the side of the building like that.

13. i_prefer_yeti says:

Reminds me strongly of the Boym Partners project “Buildings of Disaster” they started in 1998.

I snapped up Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Princess Di.

Here’s their Texas Book Depository:

14. Antinous / Moderator says:

This is a thaumaturgist’s wet dream.

15. Gulliver says:

Come on, everybody, it’s well documented that aliens ordered LBJ to have JFK shot because he’d discovered they were making crop-circles. Wake up, gullible sheeple! Sheesh!

• Andrew Singleton says:

Same aliens that told the egyptians, mayans, and all the secrets of the universe. They simply came back, were disgusted with what they were seeing, ordered the hit job, and left again.

• querent says:

“sheeple” is still a viable word.  i’m taking it back.

• Gulliver says:

“sheeple” is still a viable word.  i’m taking it back.

Hehe…one of my favorite neologisms too. Luckily, there’s enough sheeple to go around :)

Though, thanks to Randall Munroe I can’t think “sheeple” without seeing this:

16. awjt says:

They should have left the sixth floor window “slightly ajar.”

17. Jewels Vern says:

It makes about as much sense as Christians putting crosses all around.

18. oasisob1 says:

Yes, make one out of chocolate, please!

19. querent says:

I’ll take geomancy for 1k.

20. Maddy says:

When your cube-mate places this with dramatic flourish on his desk, it could be your cue to call in sick the next day.

21. Talia says:

Is this the same book depository where they crowned the king of Cuba?

22. “…and it’s REAL accurate, too, you know why? Cause Oswald’s not in it…” /billhicks

23. IGNTNUNLMTD says:

Lee Harvey Oswald? No no no, Alex Mason killed JFK.