Happy WiFi Day!

18 Responses to “Happy WiFi Day!”

1. geech says:

grooooooan

2. Unless you live in the UK, in which case that was six months ago…

3. BarBarSeven says:

Which reminds me when is “Avoid People Who Talk Like a Pirate Day?”

4. Stuart H says:

What? That was back in February!

5. Geekized says:

Talk Like a Pirate Day needs to die.  That is the most annoying and pointless thing ever invented.

6. Musing Minds says:

I think talk like a pirate day is September 19th… or around then anyway.

• penguinchris says:

It is indeed Sep. 19th. I can never forget because it’s also my birthday. As far as I know I have never talked like a pirate on that day, though, I’ll have you know.

• dculberson says:

I think talk like a pirate day is September 19th… or around then anyway.

Don’t you mean “ARRRRRound then?”

7. PAPPP says:

If you’re geeky enough to appreciate the joke, you’re geeky enough to miss it because you use a proper date format: ISO 8601.

8. David Carroll says:

The linked article asks: “What’s the most memorable, fun or strange wireless network SSID (Network name) you have ever seen in your hunt for network access?”

Bitches ‘n Hoes is my answer.  I really have to triangulate that one some day ;)

• penguinchris says:

One of my favorite things about my Nexus One is that it has stored a list of every wifi network that it’s connected to in the past (not just ones that it’s seen, unfortunately, so the one near me “OH Fuck ME, yes!” won’t be preserved).

It’s like a diary – each one reminds me of where it was and what I was doing there at the time. I’ve connected to wifi on my phone all over the US and the world (I got the phone, unlocked, because I was going to do a lot of world traveling) and this list is preserved across OS upgrades etc.

And yes, I have connected to “Yo Mamma”, apparently. She must not have been very good since I don’t even remember.

• dculberson says:

There’s a network in my neighborhood with the SSID “Sweaty Stripper Tits.”  I gotta figure out who that one is.

• querent says:

I like “tesla.”  It’s mine.

9. Andrew Wood says:

Crazy backward dates.

10. sisyphus321 says:

Remind me to celebrate WiMAX day 5 years from now (802.16).

11. Wayne Dyer says:

This gave me the idea to use ICD-9 codes for days.  802.11 in ICD-9 medical coding doesn’t exist, but 803.11 is “Other closed skull fracture with cerebral laceration and contusion with no loss of consciousness”