Friday Freak-Out: Booker T and the MGs' "Green Onions" (1967)

22 Responses to “Friday Freak-Out: Booker T and the MGs' "Green Onions" (1967)”

1. MDwebguy says:

Awesome video.  Thanks!

It’s amazing how young Duck Dunn and Steve Cropper look, in this.  I had never seen them before the Blues Brothers movie came out, so I’ve always kinda imagined they were born as 40-something-year-old men.  And I still dig Cropper’s angular solo on that vintage Telecaster.

2. Gyrofrog says:

I can’t access YouTube from where I currently post, I’ll have to watch the clip later.

Meanwhile, may I recommend the group’s album ‘Melting Pot’?

3. gber says:

Cigarette smoking in the audience – wow that brings me back!

4. Kevin Pierce says:

Ringo and George at 2:14? (I see bunnies in the clouds, too)

5. dwasifar karalahishipoor says:

Featuring Dwight Schrute on bass.

6. jarmstrong says:

Killer.  I highly recommend “Back to Back”, the double album featuring The Mar-Keys and Booker T. & The MG’s.  It is a hot and tight recording of a live show from 1967.

7. dnebdal says:

I so love the audience – it’s like every stereotype of the (Norwegian) youth of the 60s was just confirmed for me. :D

8. Booker T and the MG’s (and Isaac Hayes) are the most underrated influence on music pretty much ever.

9. Gawd what a great song. Suggestion for next week:
    George Baker Selection’s “Little Green Bag”

10. scifijazznik says:

I’ve heard this tune approximately 437 million times and it never gets old.  This is a great version, too.  I was in the mood for some righteous organ music a few weeks ago and posted a few choice cuts here .

11. MrJM says:

Booker T. is still performing and will be at the Hideout Block Party on Sep. 24 in Chicago.

12. Donald Petersen says:

This used to be the background music for 101 KGB-FM’s “PM Hotline” for about a million years, when they’d talk about upcoming local music events.  I don’t think I realized it was an actual song (as opposed to just library background music of unusually groovy quality) until about the 4,000th time I’d heard it.

I could still listen to it all day.

13. Reed Savory says:

Fantastic group – and as stated, the basis of a lot of the sound that came to be identified with the Blues Brothers Band.

I’ve had a Pandora station dedicated to these guys for years.

14. Robbo says:

Holy crap – is that Rainn Wilson on bass?

15. fnarf says:

Hey, where’s that guy to tell us that this isn’t Black Power enough to be real music?

Al Jackson, Jr. was the greatest drummer who ever lived. He played on a number of Al Green hits as well. My favorite MG’s song is a b-side, “Red Beans and Rice”, though “Can’t Be Still” will levitate the dancers as well. So much goodness.

16. Robert Johnson says:

All praises to the four geniuses that were Booker T. and the MGs!

And thanks for posting this, I hadn’t seen it before and after having watched it twice, I’m now on Otis marathon, which reminds me that even on his most marginal tunes he was the king (currently listening to “Treat Her Right”)

Is it my imagination, or is Cropper far more enthusiastic when Redding is on stage?

17. jonjonz says:

I never realized they had Marshall Stacks that far back.

Plus Duck Dunn’s bass totally carries the whole set. They could not have paid him enough ever.

18. headfirstonly says:

@MrJM:disqus Booker T is indeed still going – he played the WOMAD festival here in the UK last weekend.

@boingboing-bd06a90b7fbe27046d58f83f899560b0:disqus “That far back”? Oi!  :-)

Ken Bran designed and built Jim Marshall’s first amp in the autumn of 1962.  It was a lead guitar amp and put out about 35 watts.  The rest, as they say, is history…

19. great vid, I’ll watch anything recommended by Greg Dulli!