Sunset of a Blog

17 Responses to “Sunset of a Blog”

1. Many congratulations on a long and fruitful run!

The first dedicated gadget blog I remember is http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/ — running since the mid-1990s!

• Halloween Jack says:

Man, that takes me back. (I had no idea that Julie and Judie “broke up.”) I think that they reported on this thing that Microsoft used to do for gadget bloggers, especially those with a PDA concentration, where they’d bring them to Redmond for a conference (Moebius?) where they’d get all this incredible swag, all in an attempt to promote WinCE/Pocket PC/Windows Mobile. I used to dream of getting in on that action.

2. Domain Admin says:

Falling action and denouement are oft-neglected phases of creative efforts. Sensing the finite boundaries of one’s own long-term project should simply initiate another set of design problems to be tackled. From my experience, it just wasn’t taught or mentioned in schools — everything is geared towards the upward, skyward trajectory.

I’m reminded of “The Night Journey” — a game designed by Tracy Fullerton and Bill Viola. Instead of a quick death, the player may wander in a protracted period of settling darkness, and continue to make explorations and discoveries.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL1_twK2NDc

–EC Brown

3. doctormatt says:

The “it’s” in the first sentence is harshing my mellow.

• Glenn Fleishman says:

FIXIN’! I hate it’s/its mistakes, and it’s all mine. I suspect faulty neural wiring.

• soubriquet says:

Can we also have “pour” corrected to “pore” as in “to pore over”?

Well, we all gripe over percieved errors, and forget we all make them too.  What’s the future of blogs? who knows, but be proud of what you’ve created.
        that it’s had its day and gone? So do we all.

4. Gunn says:

Hey, cowboy, you were there for the Wild West of Wi-fi. Kudos!

5. PhantomPeanut says:

This is a world I never reached with all my dopey blogs. Having such a rise and eventual fall is a dream.  My deviantart at one point go real popular for a bit then it crashed back down. My move is I float off to something new, regretfully and hope for the best. Diminishing returns.

That or I suck. Leaning more toward suck.

6. John Ohno says:

I hope you aren’t planning to get rid of hosting your blog, even if you stop updating it. I’m the kind of guy who fairly frequently gets a ten year old router and does a quick google to figure out how to configure some fairly obscure option, and I can’t be the only one — so your most popular page probably won’t drop down to zero in hits for the next five years. Sometimes I try to work with fifteen or twenty year old tech. Sometimes I’m trying to get a feel for an era through the era’s tech reporting. If all else fails, at least send a complete archive of the site to archive.org or ask Jason Scott to make a copy; documentation on old tech (~3-20 years) is somewhat ironically harder to find than documentation on older (~50+ years) tech — a situation that I would like to counter.

• Glenn Fleishman says:

Thanks for mentioning this. I plan to keep the site up forever (until we switch to heads-up non-text-based neural information patterning). The archives have Google juice, and there’s a lot of great reference material there. I won’t be surprised to make a few hundred dollars a year for a long time, covering any marginal costs of hosting and domain name registration.

7. Rks1157 says:

I too had a moderately high traffic site that I started in the beginning of the last decade. Mine too offered advice for a niche market (killing pop up ads before browsers or third party software solutions.). The site was featured in USA Today, Tech TV, the Village Voice and a few other places. Yep. I made money from advertising and from donations. But my real rewards came from just doing it.

I was not a professional blogger and had no aspirations of becoming one. It was fun. I met a lot of great people and pissed off the legal departments at Double Click and Verisign.

Within a few years of inception browsers improved. People no longer needed to tweek their HOSTS file or bake their own cookies to foil pesky advertisers—the niche I developed for began to dissolve. I got to shutter the doors and hang up a Gone Fishing sign and I did so with gratitude for the good times I had.

There will always be vertical markets and they always evolve or collapse into a rubble of memories.

Good luck in your new endeavors.

8. Mark Stewart says:

…and one day there will be just one site from where we begin access the world’s information. In our minds perhaps? Congrats on a successful run and all the best. Always enjoy your contributions here!

9. $16228947 says:

Thank you for the years of relevant and useful content, especially during those hair-pulling days of 802.11 hardware/standards incompatibility. The bulk and larder of what’s out there these days seem to be little more than content farms, fan-boy and fan-girl squee-a-thons.

10. jarmstrong says:

And some blogs are frozen in time, beautiful and significant.  Justin’s Links From The Underground is what I am thinking of in particular.

11. grikdog says:

Will entropy fade away, or will it rant and rave to the void?

12. Mark Phillips says:

Thanks for the thoughtful article, Glenn.  And good luck to you.

13. Gordon Stark says:

Thank you for sharing with us your experience of running your site/service.

I think this subject is a very good one, and I am very interested in it, where there have been so many sites, which people have put huge amounts of work into, which in many cases had times of luster and flattering popularity and relevance, and as opposed to those important sites which have been destroyed by corporate interests and anti-competitive practices, like big music download sites, there are so many sites like your own which were once cutting edge, and spawned and inspired so many other sites to follow.

I think there is much to be said about the experience of building a site or service of value, but which may not necessarily be lucrative or properly monetized, and perhaps experiencing times of relative growth and popularity and vibrance, only to experience the evolutionary nature of the internet and changing interests, and dropping traffic numbers, in contrast to the work it takes to keep it going, poised with the questions, has it’s time come and gone, and should it remain as a static museum, or should it be shut down, and laid to rest.

It is, in and of it’self, a great journey to build and run a site that one is really into, especially where it is well received and attended, it is an opus experience…   But in the modern internet, high traffic sites are largely bought up and consolidated by the big media companies, and access to such traffic (let alone for free), has become rare, and it was access to such mainstream strength traffic flows on par with the mass media which launched so many a site in the early days.

I think what pressed BoingBoing.net to the top was how the crew did -lot’s- of television reports between 2004 and 2007, and it was that mass media coverage that put it into orbit.

I think there are many other people who have a very similar story, who struggle now with the question of whether to keep going in a changing network environment that can bury a site as quickly as it brought it to great prominence, once upon a time.

Congratulations on your successful run!