American cities after the nuke: 1950s tabloid illos

19 Responses to “American cities after the nuke: 1950s tabloid illos”

1. hassenpfeffer says:

I get the “chilling” for sure, but I’m completely missing the “hilarious.” The illo of the infant with the swaddled head reminded me of a scene in “Testament” (PBS’s film about post-nuke life that’s far superior to “The Day After”) in which a mother lifted her naked child from a water-filled sink and it becomes apparent that the child is bleeding profusely from its rectum.

2. invisibelle says:

Initial reaction to the one featured in this post is that it reminds me of the aftermath in the game Rampage.

3. dross1260 says:

Alexander Leydenfrost

4. It looks like concept art for Infamous on PS3.

5. nicksalvo says:

Hilarious? I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

6. frankieboy says:

Of course the illustrator(s) were drawing on very recent experience.

7. Uh… Could someone point out the hilarious part?  I think I missed it.

8. Jonathan Badger says:

Yes, I guess Cory means “hilarious” in the sense that the bombs depicted would be very weak by modern standards, and maybe even by mid 1950s standards. But as Frankieboy mentions, the illustrators were probably basing this on the ruins of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

• benher says:

I think that’s what he means too, but I still find it annoying. Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s bombs were not firecrackers. They turned people to ash in a heartbeat and left behind nothing but shadows on concrete. And those were the fortunate ones.

Not Not Not Hilarious… even somewhat. I have a hard time believing that anyone who has made a trip to either of those cities would be able to even use a word that implies “humor” without some massive amount of cognitive dissonance at work.

9. alephxero says:

War.  War never changes.

10. lknope says:

The fear mongering is sort of hilarious.

11. Fred Davis says:

Here’s a similar illustration/scenario by Winsor McCay done 20 years ealier: http://www.fdavis.com/blog/mccay/11.html

12. I laughed so hard I blew coffee out of my nose. Absolute hilarity.

13. strstu says:

I wonder what portion of white flight from urban to suburban areas can be attributed to fear of the bomb.

14. As someone pointed out above the bombs in question would be very small compared to what would be available by the end of the decade and widespread by the mid 60′s. However, by the mid 1970′s bombs started getting a little smaller. Yields over one megaton were not uncommon at one time, but now a typical large nuke is 300 to 400 kt.

15. jtegnell says:

Oh, and apparently homosexually can be cured as well.

16. jtegnell says:

And is that Matthew Broderick in drag?