Cookie Monster performs Tom Waits's "God's Away on Business"

23 Responses to “Cookie Monster performs Tom Waits's "God's Away on Business"”

1. DimeSpin says:

I never knew how badly I needed this in my life.

2. irksome says:

This beats unicorns any day of the week.

3. John Neumann says:

So Tom has been voicing Sesame Street for years! The universe is making sense to me now!

4. Ailsa Lindop says:

How to make my jaw drop and grin at the same time – thanks!

5. B A says:

I agree with John, are we absolutely sure Tom Waits hasn’t been doing Cookie Monster’s voice all along? And let’s face it, I think there is only one dance you can do to Tom Waits, nothing else fits.
    Speaking of dance, I found a nice little dance mashup here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkbweCV1_GY

• dragonfrog says:

Or has Cookie Monster been doing Tom Waits’ voice?

One thing is certain – you never see them together…

6. Roger Bremen says:

Bravo!  This is absolutely brilliant.  I vote Cemetery Polka for the next mash-up.

7. sfeeney says:

Tom Waits once said, “Sometimes my kids will listen to something I did and say, “Were you going for a Cookie Monster-in-love thing on that, dad?” (Source: “Magnet Interview With Tom Waits” Magnet Magazine (UK), by Jonathan Valania. October, 2004)

8. Perizade says:

That was simply wonderful. LOVE.

9. tangle says:

Ditto on the Cookie Monster Dance when Tom Waits plays.

10. Andy Lester says:

Plenty of these around.  Here’s Rowlf doing “Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis.”  http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3718833/rowlf_christmas_card_from_a_hooker_in_minneapolis/

I’d recalled that Tom Waits sued Henson at some point for Rowlf the Dog being too similar, but I can’t find documentation.

And, just to keep the Waits going, I live about a mile south of Johnsburg, IL.

11. e smith says:

yeah.. I don’t think Waits has ever sued, or threatened to sue Henson, the Frito Lay and GM suits at least had some merit to them as both instances where pretty blatant rip-off. CM and Rolf(especially) have been around for quite a long time.

I hate mash-ups and lazy cultural appropriation, but this was fun.

12. John Delaney says:

Its amazing how the absence of lips make lip syncing much more effective.

13. Brainspore says:

Cookie does appear to be wearing Tom Waits’ hat at 00:13.

14. MrMarieBlanc says:

When I first read the headline and then thought of the lyrics, I was like “How did they get to play this song on Sesame Street?!” ha ha

15. solstone says:

Thank you, Cory. This video totally made my day. As a fan of both Tom Waits and CM, well… this is just fantastic.

16. Jesseham says:

When I look away, I hear Tom Waits.  When I look at the screen, I hear cookie monster.

I don’t know who to believe.

17. catgrin says:

Bliss! One day & TWO random musical cookie monster clips!

Earlier a friend posted this bit of German Rammstein wackiness on FB:

Gotta say though, Waits just kills it. Couldn’t be better.