Edinburgh Fringe show asks audience to shred banknotes

18 Responses to “Edinburgh Fringe show asks audience to shred banknotes”

1. Rajio says:

Step 1: Build trick shredder that outputs pre-shredded-strips and stores input in hidden compartment.

Step 2: Call it art

Step 3: Profit

2. Bah. Back in the day, burning $1 for “Bob” got us just as high, and we didn’t have to fly to Scotland to do it.

3. adonai says:

Eh, Krusty already did it.

4. niro5 says:

How about we just say we shredded that money and give it to a worthy cause instead.

5. Glippiglop says:

Destroying things that you have an attachment to, or that you see as valuable, can be very liberating.  Simple example – I once destroyed a packet of cigarettes by hand to demystify my curiosity, and have since never had a desire to try one.  I’ve also destroyed art that I’d spent weeks on – I didn’t like the final result and felt that I should it to smash it to bits to move forward.  I now create better art.

More obvious example – destroying stuff that was given to you by your ex.

If you don’t understand why, then you really need to try it.  Ideally you should have a reason and purpose in mind when you do it though.

6. ryhntyntyn says:

Whisky & Bears and Dying to Help were much better shows than this.

7. Jordan Pez says:

Don’t you hate pants?

8. jennybean42 says:

He needs to get together with Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping.

9. “Slithers” of paper? Really?

10. pkpk says:

white people are crazy.

11. swithuncrowe says:

Most Edinburgh fringe shows cost a lot more than these people shredded. And this show was free (for both artist and audience) thanks to the Forest, Edinburgh’s main alternative arts space.
    If anyone feels that money is better given to a good cause than put in a shredder, then the Forest (charity number SC038234) is raising money to find a new home, as PricewaterhouseCoopers, the building’s receivers, want the Forest out of its current location.

Interestingly, the main creditor for the Forest’s bankrupt landlord is the Royal Bank of Scotland, run by Fred ‘the Shred’ Goodwin, until it had to be rescued by the taxpayer.

12. technogeekagain says:

Were I doing this show, I’d have been really tempted to set up the “shredder” to capture the bills and dispense fake shreddings. Instant bonus payment.

• Mister44 says:

I was thinking the same thing. Similar to the ‘money machine’ con artists and magicians have been using for years.

13. phaedral says:

Think twice before doing this in the U.S.. Can’t say for the U.K., but we’ve got laws against that sort of thing: “In the United States, burning banknotes is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 333: Mutilation of national bank obligations, which includes “any other thing” that renders a note “unfit to be reissued””(courtesy of wikipedia)

14. Chicago Fringe is September 1st – 11th, can’t wait.

15. RyanMcFitz says:

Burn expensive things that matter to you…  Wait a minute — didn’t Savonarola pull this stunt a while back…?

16. Thebes says: