Old ad: Drink sugary drinks before meals to lose weight!

41 Responses to “Old ad: Drink sugary drinks before meals to lose weight!”

1. traalfaz says:

Actually, for me the sugar crash from HFCS causes me to be hungry.  If I drink something with actual sugar in it instead, the crash either doesn’t happen or is much more mild.  I’ve totally cut HFCS from my diet now (as much as reasonably possible) and I find it much easier to just wait until meal time rather than snack all day since doing so, even if I’m drinking soda with real sugar or kool-aid with real sugar.

2. Snig says:

One of my cardinal rules on food is, first food, then junk.  Soda should be part of the dessert course.

3. They’re not saying sugar fills you up; they’re saying it provides energy for willpower. Roy Baumeister and others have actually produced research supporting this claim.
    “Restoring glucose to a sufficient level typically improves self-control.”

4. seyo says:

Butter being 80% fat, it actually does have a very long lasting impact on satiety, has much higher energy density, does not provoke an energetic crash, nor an insulin response. If it’s from grass fed cows, it contains a lot of carotenoids and omega 3 fats. If it’s cultured, is rich in probiotics. Butter is a superior food. Sugar is not food. Butter kicks pretty much all forms of carbohydrates in the ass when it comes to nutritional value, as do most fats (those that are from animal provenance, or from minimally processed vegetable sources like extra virgin coconut or olive oil, NOT canola, corn, soy, cotton seed which are poisons.) The human body’s “factory settings” are to run on fat for fuel, not sugars. The shift to sugar based metabolism was one made for economic purposes (carbs are cheap fuel for the peasants made to wage their masters’ wars and work their fields) not nutritional ones, and is responsible for just about all modern diseases.

5. Godfree says:

Is she so hungry that she’s eating the straw?

6. We have the same ads now, just for milk.

Given that it’s a liquid designed to turn calfs into cows (I’m talking about commercial cows milk of course here, not breastfeeding), I always find it amusing that it’s treated like an essential health-food for humans.

It’s fatty water; and unless you have a pretty poor diet anyway won’t be adding much into the mix.

7. Shibi_SF says:

The ad photo makes me think about tooth decay.  *cringe*

• AetherWeaver says:

Drinking through a straw can actually reduce your chances of tooth decay.  Of course that model appears unfamiliar with proper usage.

• kmoser says:

Only if you don’t swirl the drink around in your mouth after sipping from the straw. The better way to reduce chances of tooth decay are not to drink soda in the first place.

8. librtee_dot_com says:

Frankly, this might just work with butter. Or any sort of healthy oil like olive oil or coconut oil. Most people don’t eat enough high quality fats, and It’s absolutely worth trying.

But with sugar? GTFO.

9. blueelm says:

This photograph has a sort of gritty realism I would not expect in something made to pitch sugary sodas so much as life insurance or union made clothing.

10. In 20 years, we may look back and laugh the same way at cow milk ads.   Amazing what advertisers are allowed to claim!

11. Mantari Damacy says:

Uncanny that this has a strong connection to a story I just read: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html?_r=1&ref=general&src=me&pagewanted=all

Basically, it talks about decision fatigue (and willpower). The idea is that decisions take energy, and after time, you develop fatigue in making those decisions or in fighting taking an action. It claims that those reserves are replenished by glucose.

The connection to this story is that, perhaps, by getting a good dose of glucose, you will then replenish your psychological energy store enough to make your ‘willpower’ much more successful in resisting other temptations.

12. Ashley Yakeley says:

“only 18 calories per teaspoon, and it’s all energy”

As opposed to those non-energy calories you get in other foods?

13. purple-stater says:

The add is actually correct.  Eating a proper meal after the sugary drink will provide the real energy food that your body needs so the drink won’t trigger the infamous “sugar crash”.

I remember reading about university studies over 30 years ago that showed when people had small, sweet snacks 10-30 minutes prior to mealtimes the majority tended to eat more healthier foods and less sweets.  Leading to better nutrition and a tendency towards weight loss for those otherwise overweight.

14. brightnow says:

The saddest part is the “Sugar Information, Inc.” is still alive and kicking. The name is different but their mission remains the same: “The Sugar Association continues with its mission of educating health professionals, media, government officials and the public about sugar’s goodness.”

15. I just spent an entire day consuming nothing but HFCS, glucose, powdered electrolytes and water. Say what you want, but it’s the only way I could have cycled 100 miles, climbed 5000′, and survived. I have  the readout from a continuous blood glucose monitor to prove it. Anybody that’s too good for HFCS is too good for me. I occasionally live that photo.

• Tara Grant says:

I’m sorry you’re insulin resistant. I probably could have done the same physical activity in a fasted state, since I live a Paleo lifestyle (although I wouldn’t have attempted that type of chronic cardio. A lion would not chase me for 100 miles, up 5000′). My body produces it’s own glucose when I don’t eat fruit or vegetables, through a process called gluconeogenesis.

16. tcburks says:

Posted similar ad last year to the BoingBoing photo pool: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcburks/5392428677/

17. SamSam says:

As others have said, this ad may have been well ahead of the curve. The ridiculously-interesting article in the NYT this weekend (linked by Mantari Damacy) is all about how will power gets depleted over the course of a day. The were a host of extremely cool studies, but one of them was showing that will power increases once the brain is re-supplied with glucose.

So indeed, eating a spoonful of sugar a half hour before a meal might lead you to have the willpower to stick to your diet during the meal.

18. Adam Blackwell says:

the principle is entirely correct: that consuming fast-release sugars will make you feel fuller. And this could lead to you eating less.

But the problem is that it’s quite a complex relationship which might not be wholly obvious to everybody seeing the advert. This potential benefit is far outweighed by all the health implications of consuming high sugar soft drinks… The advert is not a little disingenuous!