16 Responses to “Great vintage science fiction art up for auction - Frazetta, Wally Wood, Virgil Finlay”

1. Lobster says:

The guy in that Frazetta painting has a nice space-stick.  Did it come from a space-tree?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

The guy in that Frazetta painting has a nice space-stick.

Nothing wrong with a big stick, but that popped collar is a deal killer.

2. David Pescovitz says:

He has a bum foot so I’m glad he found a space-stick to use as a cane. I really dig the creatures and also the nonchalant look on the guy’s face. Frazetta was really so damn good.

• ahmacrom says:

I love the story about the Disney trained artists working on Fire and Ice freaking out that FRANK was coming by to check out the animation department. He has no equal.

• William Joseph Dunn says:

…and one of the background painters on “Fire and Ice” was the “Painter of Light” himself Thomas Kinkade. YIKES! So that movie has both one of my favorite painters as well as my least favorite painter involved with it.

3. irksome says:

They may not be curvaceous but where they come from, baring your spotted shoulders is considered very provocative.

4. Teirhan says:

I’ve been telling my girlfriend for months that i didn’t want cheesy sci fi / fantasy pop art on the walls of any shared abode we may occupy.

if letting her put a mass effect made-for-collectors cel on the wall is what it took to let me hang that frazetta poster, though, man, I’d be there in a heartbeat.

5. Trent Hawkins says:

is that Katamari Damacy?

6. Hal Work says:

I was at the Worldcon where the Schoenherr painting sold for about $200.  I bought a Kelly Freas Analog illustration done in oil for $17.

7. pKp says:

Oh. My. God. I’d sell a kidney in a heartbeat for that abestos-bound Farenheit 451. Seriously, I’m even considering bidding, and I can barely afford to eat this month. Why would you do this to me, BB ?

8. townandgownie says:

Perfectly safe assuming the fibers are bound up in the material. I probably would vacuum seal the book to keep the cover from damage but unless significant fiber release happens and you inhale it, asbestos still doesn’t hurt you from just touching it.

• Teirhan says:

in 2006 when I started college, all the pipes in my freshman dorm were still asbestos insulated.  I guess the great state of Oregon decided the warning stickers were enough.  They were probably right, too.

• AngerMonkey says:

Yes, unless you are planning to grind the book up and snort it, the owner is probably safe. Or they might try to eat it and end up choking. That’s actually probably MORE likely…

• And if you ever need to sand your asbestos book wet it down first, and wear a mask.

9. Dicrel Seijin says:

Hmm, they don’t make covers like this anymore. I see far too many that are just abstract multicolor shapes and designs.

10. lecti says:

3rd panel is missing a katamari.