The agony and the ecstasy

15 Responses to “The agony and the ecstasy”

1. Brainspore says:

Have you ever witnessed anyone die of leukemia during a rave? SCIENCE!

2. bbonyx says:

I like that when I look at the stock pics accompanying articles such as this I can honestly think “I remember those… I remember those… oooh, those were good!” etc. etc. Heh.

And then I often think “Damn, I wish the hand holding all of that were mine”. Good times. Really good times.

3. Bleach will also kill cancer cells in a test tube. And everything else.

4. GreenJello says:

If it’s modified, it’s not really ecstasy is it?

5. Lobster says:

Been keeping an eye on this since I could really use a little right about now.

Also looking forward to the sh*tstorm when they try to legalize it for medical use.

• lishevita says:

Actually, MDMA is already being used for medical use in some countries, and is in use in clinical trials here in the US. So, I suspect that the storm here in the US will be less brown than you expect.

6. ahmacrom says:

‘GULP’ too late, hey it’s for SCIENCE..

7. Cocomaan says:

MDMA is pretty harmless. Certainly less dangerous than Tylenol.

• dculberson says:

Almost certainly less toxic, but not necessarily less dangerous.  It is a psychoactive drug and has serious misuse potential.  Most users don’t appreciate just how powerful it is.

8. Alvis says:

What a tease. All I wanted from that article was the name of the new chemical.

9. MrEricSir says:

Well the first step is to remove all the cancer cells from your body and put them in a test tube.

10. mccrum says:

TL; DR, Cancer is cured!  Yay!

11. Kuh Superkuh says:

Nope. Just because they started with an MDMA structure doesn’t mean it’s ‘modified ecstasy’. This headline is, perhaps unintentional, propoganda. They didn’t just stick in a halogen or switch a methyl to an ethyl, they replaced the alpha-site methyl (the meth in methylamphetamine) with a freakin’ huge phenyl group! But that didn’t work, so they added even bulkier substituants like 1- and 2-naphthyl and para-biphenyl at the alpha position.

Some may not understand this jargon so I’ll put it this way: there is as much or more there added on then there was to start in the entire molecule.

Read for yourself over at: http://www.springerlink.com/content/384k8r14u2kvhv1h/ “Enhancing the anti-lymphoma potential of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (‘ecstasy’) through iterative chemical redesign: mechanisms and pathways to cell death”

12. bfarn says:

“…chemically re-engineered ecstasy by taking some atoms
    away and putting new ones in their place.”

Hoooo-DANG.  What is this, Ranger Rick?