Free public service games for young people about sweatshops and death

14 Responses to “Free public service games for young people about sweatshops and death”

1. hogan says:

appropriate for all ages?

2. Colin Knox says:

I click new game, and it asks me to enter a Name, and I do, and then nothing happens.   The “Next” button or whatever it’s called makes a chime sound, but….

3. technogeekagain says:

And what’s wrong with an increasingly atheist — or agnostic — population? Those *ARE* legitimate religious choices, even though they make organized religion uncomfortable and cut into its income stream.

4. Cory Doctorow says:

Not a thing. But this marks the first serious attempt by a public UK entity to discuss existential issues with teens in a way that encompasses atheism as a legitimate choice.

5. michaeljonjensen says:

Love the concept of Sweatshop. Hated having to wait for each bit of textual explanation and scene-setting to display. Found the music grating. Great to have the real information interspersed between levels.

It just took too long to get to actual play, and I was impatient. I don’t play many games, so take that with a grain of salt.

But kudos to your wife for enacting her ethics.

• Gulliver says:

+1 what michaeljonjensen said.

Also, The End rocks, though I wish the avatar customization had more abstract characteristics available in keeping with the motif of the game. Overall though, it’s a great way to lure the little ones to existentialism and humanism. I wonder if in the future there will be campaigns to ban educational games from school intranets. “Why, in my day we had wholesome games like Street Fighter and Doom, and you had to walk a six whole miles in freezing rain to get a popsicle!”

6. championselector says:

nice one. and props to your missus, cory…

7. RadioSilence says:

Cory, was she behing the excellent Trafalgar Origins game?

Tell her thanks, I whiled away many hours playing the multiplayer game.

8. Ville Hising says:

The End, what a fantastic game!

9. tiredofit says:

Pretty much all I did in the Sweatshop game was read stupid shit and waste time.  After three minutes of no game play I quit.

10. RedIndianGirl says:

I keep losing because I am much too nice of a boss – I’m all about the worker. But that’s probably because I’m a happy subversive radical socialist!!!

11. Lane Yarbrough says:

I played the game. My only suggestion would be to relax on the one-word sentence openers.

12. Bubba73 says: