Video tour of Walter Potter's anthropomorphic taxidermy

21 Responses to “Video tour of Walter Potter's anthropomorphic taxidermy”

1. ncarp says:

That’s right kids, every time you [__fill in appropriate sin here__], Walter Potter kills a kitten!

2. DaveBrooks says:

The bassoon* in the background music makes all the difference. More online videos need a background bassoon.

*or maybe oboe

3. Rich Keller says:

Yes, “leading people to formulate their own fairy tales in their own words”. Those words being creepy and outre.

4. scifijazznik says:

I first came across his work via the sleeve art of a Piano Magic record in the late 90s.  Fantastically creepy stuff.  Suits the music well.

5. KBert says:

Ooh, I love those squirls’ ears.

6. Gemma says:

My sister and I were taken to see this collection when it was in the Jamaica Inn in Cornwall. Bear in mind that we were both children and both vegetarian.

Not the best family day out ever.

7. Taxidermied kittens: he was a sick, sick man.  How anyone can think that is cute, or tasteful, is beyond me.  I hope he was stuffed in a humorous pose and put on display when he died.

• puzzlingevidence says:

I think they are completely delightful!

I actually have more than a vague desire to pursue taxidermy as a hobby one day.

8. Guest says:

“Walter Potter was famous for his ‘Squirrels Club’.  As an artist, he suffered simply because there was no one to compare him with.  But see how sensitive he could be, when he took time off from stuffing cherished pets, his bread-and-butter job.”

I saw a lot of suffering (and horror) in that video.  The suffering of the artist didn’t occur to me.  So misunderstood.  (deep sarcasm)

Scooter!  Come here, baby, your human needs a hug!

9. Seriously, even in 1965, no one thought ranks of dead kittens were bizarre?

10. Melinda9 says:

Good lord – kittens, squirrels, rabbits, cherished pets – did he ever take a break?

11. llazy8 says:

Wait- do we know where he sourced his kittens from? Did he hunt them and then stuff them like you would with a deer, or did he get euthanized kittens from the pound, which like today, kills and disposes of lots of kittens a year?

12. Dette Marhez says:

I think some of the pieces were exhibited in the Museum of Everything Number 3

13. Ian Wood says:

I must invite this man to dinner.

14. Where did he find the tiny bull?

• monstrinho says:

honest answer, he made the form out of wood and cut and shaped skin to fit over it. i can’t remember if he used actual bull/cow skin or not. i saw the exhibition 10 years ago and asked the same question to a guide.

15. monstrinho says:

i saw this collection in 2001. it was amazing to see and more than a little macabre.

16. querent says:

creep-a-zorg.

17. bwcbwc says:

Any relation to Beatrix Potter? The forms and poses look eerily similar to her illustrations for Peter Rabbit, etc.

As far as animal cruelty: I would imagine the critters were already dead when he started skinning them and creating the figures. Or are there really that many animists here on Boing-boing?