TOM THE DANCING BUG: Billy Dare, in "Captain CEO's Fate!"

PREV • INDEXNEXT

18 Responses to “TOM THE DANCING BUG: Billy Dare, in "Captain CEO's Fate!"”

1. RobDobbs says:

1st (for now)

2. Deidzoeb says:

I hope they overcome the uncanny valley character design by the time Spielberg comes out with his CGI Billy Dare movie.

• cooperman says:

I hear you, Deidzoeb. But every chance I get, I’m spreading the word. It’s not the designs, it’s just that they don’t blink. Watch any good 2D cartoon. Blinking’s the cheapest way to keep a character alive.

3. GawainLavers says:

Holy narrative switcheroo plus meta self-critique!

4. Aw, this is an old one.

5. Peter van der Linden says:

What is that mysterious giant “A” outside the window in the 3rd from last panel?

• samesimilar says:

It’s obviously a nod to the visual poetry of bp nichol

• spejic says:

It’s a steel lattice structure for power lines. Sometimes a transmission tower is just a transmission tower.

Unless it indicates a sub-optimal housing location which points to Billy Dare’s lower socio-economic status which, in the Marxist dialectic, would be the prima facie motive for the inception of his conflict with CEO Man and the ultimate expression of why Dare had to be the one to kill CEO Man in the climax using CEO Man’s very tools of production. Is it any surprise that Billy’s shirt indicates boldly his membership in the 5th quintile of income distribution?

• benher says:

It represents “Anarchy.”

6. bkad says:

It reminds me a little of “Captain Planet”. Remember that cartoon? Superhero with mullet and an ethnically balanced team of environmentalist children. If I remember correctly, it was heavy-handed on the symbolism and black and white characters (it was a superhero cartoon after all). My favorite villains were the ones that seemed to want harm the earth — as their end goal. Sigh, I miss that simplicity.

7. KBert says:

Where’s Quentin?

8. Phoc Yu says:

I liked Captain cEO better when the role was played by Michael Jackson.  And where’s the 3D?

9. MorganK says:

These seem weirdly less inspired than the filmmaker ones I’ve seen for years.  I don’t know who makes ‘em, but they’re all great directors and all heavy metal fonts.  Maybe it’s that specificity that is more satisfying.  This is a bit more random.

I got Ingmar Bergman in the Iron Maiden font at one of the indie movie rental places in LA.

10. ill lich says:

I think Cowboy Cal represented, like. . .cowboys.

11. jtegnell says:

Is Ruben on vacation?

12. Stefan Jones says:

Um, the title panel of the strip clearly says “with Quentin,” but he appears nowhere else in the strip. I feel cheated.

OH! I almost forgot:

My dog dug up a golden tablet while going after gophers the other day. It had a message from Percival Dunwoody. Something about being arrested for offending the queen of a long-lost civilization. (Gold was so common there that they gave it to prisoners to write letters home on.)