The "world's most irritating instrument" is for sale

36 Responses to “The "world's most irritating instrument" is for sale”

1. If you include “instruments” then the vuvuzela is the most irritating. And the bassoon is the most amusing.

• Lobster says:

Not sure the vuvuzela is really an instrument, but I think it counts if this triangle thing does, and in that case you are correct Mr. Baruch.

2. Chris Burden says:

Rob says “…everyone knows that the world’s most irritating instrument is the bagpipe”. Sorry Rob, totally wrong. Look up Red Hot Chilli Pipers – Bagrock for the masses.

3. Yeah, just look at the Chilli Peppers…… good call Rob.

4. R U there says:

Accordian or kazoo, but not bagpipes.

5. scatterfingers says:

My goodness, that’s some terrible music.

6. Don Ankney says:

Isn’t this just a metronome with a broken power switch?

7. What about the theremin?

8. irksome says:

I’ ye dinnae loov ye pipes, yer crap!

9. Larry Rice says:

Q: What’s the difference between an onion and a bagpipe?
    A: No one cries when you cut up a bagpipe.

10. Guest says:

It sure looks like a Vogon Poetry Generator.

11. geekcalif says:

This unfortunate looking unit rates right up there with the twentieth century’s most annoying artists :)

12. technogeekagain says:

No imagination. The world’s most irritating instrument would be one that periodically goes into a mode that makes no sound at all, no matter how you argue with it — but that is interesting enough when working that you can’t stop fighting with it.

13. Rich Keller says:

The text doesn’t specify that it’s the most irritating _musical instrument_.  For that, I would go with the vuvuzela, too, with doumbek running a close second.

I like bagpipes, but as Mischa of Wolgemut says about them, “..they’re either on or off.”

14. jwepurchase says:

I was out with my bagpipes in the back seat of my car and I needed to go into a store. I was only there for a minute, but by the time I had got back someone had broken into my car. Now I have two bagpipes.

15. scatterfingers says:

My goodness, that music is hard on the ears.

16. Mikael Andreasen says:

No love for the Gaffone?

17. tsa says:

Hmmm I hear a mysterious ticking noise…

18. Brian C. says:

I WON THE AUCTION!
    Dear BoingBoing, once I receive it can I send you my review?

19. pita says:

I agree that the bagpipe is the most irritating instrument.  I can never tell if the person playing the bagpipe is any good at it or not.  I’m convinced nobody can, and all the bagpipe players out there are having big laugh about how bad they are and nobody knows it.

20. Listener43 says:

A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn’t.

21. msbpodcast says:

The scurr of the pipes is often an entertaining sound in genres well outside the gaelic.

They are a wonderful and stirring accent to many a tune, I would take your minds back to Steve Earle’s 1988 album “Copperhead Road” which has bagpipes mixed in with the country rock of the extremely popular song by the same name.The vuvuzela only plays a single B-flat note, loud and louder, and is more of an annoyance than any kind of musical instrument.

• Donald Petersen says:

+1.  That is one awesome song.  In retrospect, I never expected to hear bagpipes and a mandolin in a song with lyrics like “My Daddy ran whiskey in a big-block Dodge, bought it at an auction at the Mason’s Lodge.  Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side, he just shot a coat of primer and he looked inside.”  Somebody on Wikipedia says it was “bagpipes… played through a keyboard.”  Maybe that was for the best.  If you check out the video at 2:31 when they finally reveal the whole band in all its 1988 finery, I don’t think Earle could have withstood much more onstage embarrassment.  The mullets, the doubleneck, the headless bass, and the presence of what looks like all the less-famous sidemen from Toto and A Flock Of Seagulls… ol’ Steve should have kept them in the deep BG.

22. msbpodcast says:

While I’m at it, 1968′s “Sky Pilot” by Eric Burdon & The Animals was another example of well a applied musical accent, though this was a military march being rendered as the song was ending.

23. adonai says:

In Extremo or Tanzwut would bite your head off for that comment, Rob!

24. Lobes says:

Came for Vuvuzela. Leaving satisfied.

25. Aya McCabre says:

Is that annoying by nature or annoying in the hands of the average person who attempts to play them? If the latter then I would like to nominate the recorder.
    [My apologies to anyone who can actually play the recorder well. Unfortunately you're out numbered.]

26. maybe the worlds most annoying musicians are circuit benders…they get joy from how not music their music is…its all shtick

27. williambillwilliams says:

My band did 4 shows with the Red Hot Chili Pipers last year and I can attest that the bagpipes are the worlds LOUDEST instrument. I still have ringing in one ear. If you really want to know what the world’s most annoying instrument is just step in to any one of your local music stores on a Saturday afternoon and you will find that it is, in fact, the electric guitar!