IUDs may offer cancer protection

8 Responses to “IUDs may offer cancer protection”

1. M Carlson says:

There’s a joke in here somewhere about Michelle Bachman, the HPV vaccine, and teenage girls, but I can’t come up with it.

2. Stefan Jones says:

If Conservatives freak out over a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer, suggesting women get something put up their hoo-hah should push them right over the edge.

3. awjt says:

What about mechanical action stimulating different internal flow patterns?

4. marnia says:

well, i have mirena, and my cervix is great!!!…… not to mention cancer free sooooo……. EAT THAT BACHMAN!!!!!

5. UniAce says:

Whoah, hey, I hate to have to repeat it here, but CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSATION.  There was no random assignment of women to receive IUD or not.  The study only establishes a correlation (aka association).  It COULD be that IUDs reduce cancer risk (and that would be great!), OR it could be that, for example, women who choose to get IUDs are generally healthier, wealthier, make better health decisions, etc.  The study authors do say that they “adjust[ed] for relevant covariates” (i.e., using statistics to try to remove effects of other variables), but who knows if they got every single possibly relevant variable?
    These findings are suggestive, and hopefully will spur more targeted research, but in and of themselves they don’t afford any causal conclusions.

• bklynchris says:

Thank you……I too wonder if they did a logistic regression analysis re-the correlation.

It is also known that reduced estrogen levels over long periods of time minimize the risk of breast cancer, but still that is not reason enough for me to prophylactically take the pill.

6. Mister44 says:

IUDs are making a comeback. Wired had a really good article on them a month or two ago. They were glossed over in my sex ed – like the red headed step child of contraception.

7. foxtails says:

I misread IUD as IED and had to investigate.