The southern lights from space

24 Responses to “The southern lights from space”

1. royaltrux says:

You can tell it is the southern hemisphere because Orion appears “upside down”.

• nonsense sir, its clearly the northern hemisphere because otherwise the camera would be upside down, and that would be uncomfortable.

• SamSam says:

After you said that, I imported the photo into photoshop and flipped it upsidedown. I like it even better that way. It reminds me that, in space, there is no reason for the Earth to be “down.”

• Kimmo says:

Well actually, when you think about it, in space, ‘down’ is the direction of the nearest source of gravity.Or maybe a vector of all the gravity acting on you. But I’d prefer to think of it as the direction you don’t want to head directly in for very long.

2. Brainspore says:

I don’t care how much viral marketing D.C. does, nobody is gonna buy “Green Lantern” on DVD.

3. Lobster says:

Now that’s something.

4. xenphilos says:

That’s pretty damn cool.

5. Earth’s force field at work.

6. Keith Kisser says:

I saw that too! What’s great about these images, is, not only do we get to see them in real time form astronauts posting on Twitter and G+, but the quality of even cheep digital photography is really amazing. I wish we would go back tot he Moon so we could take new, high def pictures of Earth. One day maybe…

• royaltrux says:

Actually the quality of the still film cameras that Apollo took to the moon were quite good. That said, I wish we could (would?) go back again, also. And I agree with you about the awesomeness of real-time, high quality digital pics from the astro/cosmonauts.

7. Stefan Jones says:

Southern Lights my eye. That’s actually the Terran Defense League’s Antarctic defense screen flaring under the impact of a Lqaddian Horde meson cannon.

8. Eric Wolf says:

All I can say is “Earth Shields Up”
    and “damn, that looks awsome”

9. Teirhan says:

i know this is a photo but my brain keeps telling me it’s a video still from a VHS copy of some mid-90s sci fi movie.

10. Tony Canepa says:

This is amazing stuff to add to my circles. BoingBoing, any chance of getting a list of Google+ folks you find interesting?  It’s been a little tough tracking down good content.

11. Chris Burgess says:

I have some friends who say they have seen the southern lights down in Southland, New Zealand. Not sure if they are ever visible up in Otago.

12. JMB98115 says:

oh, aurora australis?

13. Kimmo says:

Hey, when I look at photo details under actions at the scrapbook photos page, it says the image is 1600×1065, but the largest copy I can find is only 912×607.

What gives? This is my first look at Google+, and I’m far from impressed. It’s 2011; surely we can share pics of any size by now.

14. ocker3 says:

I suddenly have a hankering to take my special lady on a Southern Lights adult cruise, anyone know how to find such a thing??

15. chur says:

About 8 years ago, I saw the aurora from Christchurch, only red though,
    friends about 50k south in Ashburton saw a much better display, greens
    and blues and much brighter. I think that was during a really big solar
    flare though, only time my Mum could remember seeing it and she’s lived
    there 50+ years