New Daniel Pinkwater novel being serialized online in weekly chapters

10 Responses to “New Daniel Pinkwater novel being serialized online in weekly chapters”

1. Pag says:

I’ve been planning on serializing my upcoming self-published novel to promote it. I wonder how successful previous attempts were.

2. Pinkwater is the greatest! He always manages to combine elements that ive never considered into something that makes great sense. As soon as I finish my eggs mctavish I must try guinness and bananas.

3. I was unaware until now that there was anyone else in the world as infatuated with Bushman the gorilla as I was.  As a child I was acquainted with him at the Lincoln Park zoo and told he was actually a relative. When I discovered he had been mounted after his death and that I could see him at the Field Museum I made it a point to always go there and share thoughts with him by standing with him and staring into his eyes. I know the landscape of his face and recognize it like it was my own.

4. joeholmes says:

“Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars” is brilliant, as are so many of his. Snarkout Boys! But I always got the feeling in all DP’s novels, that he writes without every looking back and editing what came before. They’re all a bit Shaggy Dog Story.

5. Bartacus says:

Man do I love Pinkwater.  He wrote the first book I ever bought:

I was in first grade.  School book fair sale of some kind.

I was also lucky enough to be in Chicago when a theatre company put up Lizard Music as a stage play.

6. I’m so ashamed.  I actually read the article.  Now I feel “informed” and actually understand the references, I feel so dirty,  I don’t know what I was thinking…

7. dahlia says:

i’m a HUGE pinkwater fan.  i figure if i’m very, very good, when i die, i will come back as a character in a daniel pinkwater book.

8. erin jones says:

I am savoring this first chapter like a single-malt and a piece of dried persimmon. Or Olde English 800 and a snow pea, stir-fried at home. I am neither aping Pinkwater nor concocting these combinations in my head. I have tried them; the OE and snow pea just last week.

It may be that the tendency to try and enjoy such combinations are due in some part to the influence Pinkwater has had on my personality, my courage and my art since I first found Lizard Music at the Public Library. I was 7, and home was like Riverside High except far more dangerous.The Pinkwater-ness of this new novel is extremely powerful. I started reading it and instantly thought: It’s gonna be good. It’s gonna be really, really good. It’s got that Walter Galt, Miss Sweet’s hot-rod, Leonard Neeble, baked potato, Chicken Man, the Mighty Gorilla, Green Death Chili vibe to it. I feel like I’m reading Bird playing a solo in his prime.No one calls someone a jerk the way Pinkwater can. Thank you, Daniel Pinkwater. Again. Ook.

9. WaylonWillie says:

Hooray! Thanks for posting. This means I need to finish the Yggssey, which I have neglected.

Pag: I have read his past two online (partially) and have also bought the books. So, I think it works for him. I wonder how this would work for non-Pinkwaters. I haven’t bought anyone elses serialized novels, but nor have I read them online either.

10. Andrew Foertsch says:

My dad took my brother and me to see Bushman at LIncoln Park when we were  about 4 and 5, 1948-49, maybe younger. It was one of my first memories. We rode on a double decker bus so I know it was way back. Every week after either i or my brother would bug my dad to go back and see Bushman. I’m sucked in now.