One-of-a-kind desk hides a pipe organ and fluidic computer

12 Responses to “One-of-a-kind desk hides a pipe organ and fluidic computer”

1. oohShiny says:

This is truly worthy of a blog dedicated to wonderful things. :) Thanks for sharing!

2. BrotherPower says:

You had me at the beauty of that desk as just a desk. A pipe organ too?! But wait–there’s COMPUTER?!?

Sold!

3. Ryan Edwards says:

the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v… makes me love it all the more.

4. Comman Dax says:

Mr. Woe-to-Hice?

5. ksallen says:

There aren’t really any details given on the fluidic computer, but the fluidic switch was invented in 1959, so it’s a bit of a stretch to say this could have been constructed 500 years ago.

• I suppose that’s a fair point, although I’m not sure exactly what goes on inside this one, or whether it has any historic antecedents. I was more referring to the fact that it’s made entirely from wood with hand tools. If you could make a working glider entirely out of wood, then it’s fair to say it *could* have been made 500 years ago, if anyone at the time had sufficient understanding of aerodynamics.

• It’s the simple fact that it *could* have been, doesn’t necessarily mean it would’ve been. If the person who’d created the fluidic switch lived five hundred years ago, they would’ve had it so much sooner.

6. DewiMorgan says:

While utterly gorgeous, I’m most delighted and amused by the UI decision to have it shout out your password as you type it in :)

Because of this, by Bondian tradition, the compartment should require the five-note melody from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

7. Gulliver says:

Eat yer heart out Da Vinci!

8. bolamig says:

More whistle than pipe organ but man this guy is so brilliant that nobody will ever know where his weed is.

9. I work with Kagen, I’m his assistant at the woodshop. The sound quality has been much improved; the pipes weren’t quite finished when they taped that interview. They are finished now though and there’s going to be a show for the desk at Plus Gallery in Denver this weekend.
    -Hector

P.S. I’ve been a long-time reader of BB and it feels pretty awesome to see something you’ve worked on appear on here. I nearly spat out my coffee this morning.