Ken Jennings is a Maphead and unashamed to admit it

18 Responses to “Ken Jennings is a Maphead and unashamed to admit it”

1. xzzy says:

I guess they didn’t feel like doing it for google maps, because starting a new tab and zooming in there centers you on a grassy field in southern Kansas.

• pencilbox says:

I liked the part of the interview about the book, but then they threw in the Jeopardy rundown and I felt a little bad for Ken, who is obviously trying to be more than just “Game Show Winner for $800.”

2. usuallyconfused says:

Maybe that’s where he was conceived…….

3. corydodt says:

I’m working on artistically rendering a 25-year-old D&D map in gimp, so I’m getting a kick out of this thread.

4. Wren Noble says:

Here in Canada it zooms into Qu’Appelle Avenue in Winnipeg :-(

On the upside, though, I guess he just proved we ARE all map geeks! (Or, you know, just geeks. Still, maps!!!)

5. MDwebguy says:

I’ll take Arcane World Geography for $200, Alex.

6. Palomino says:

Compass Roses are absolutely fascinating and beautiful. Here’s a modern day fantasy rose. Lovely.

7. Finnagain says:

I keep a 1:1 map of the universe in my shed.

8. Timothy Reeves says:

Is it near Liberal, KS? I remember that being that geometric center of the continental US (if you precisely cut out a rigid map of the 48 states, you could balance it on a pin at that point.) Isn’t it called the centroid?

9. Ken Jennings says:

“I liked the part of the interview about the book, but then they threw in the Jeopardy rundown and I felt a little bad for Ken”

Sigh, it goes with the territory.  The great thing is that enough time has gone by now that I can start recycling all the same Jeopardy jokes I used back in 2004.

Google says the Coffeyville, KS thing is random, but I like usuallyconfused’s answer better.

• jetfx says:

Reading the first chapter of your book, I must confess I did the same thing with my atlas, although it was the 1981 National Geographic version. Probably explains why I became a cartographer.

Your book looks pretty interesting as well!

• penguinchris says:

You can also talk about the Watson match now, though I got the feeling from the interview (which I sat in my driveway after I got home to finish listening to by the way) that there isn’t really much to say about that from your perspective!

I agree that the part of the interview about the book itself was excellent, and as a fellow map geek (though not a “wonk”) – which is part of why I became a geologist – I will definitely be picking up your book.

10. Nelson Geis says:

Since I have heard the Lawrence story from a relative IN Lawrence who claims to have known the guy back when it was Keyhole or whatever it was prior to Google buying it, I buy that story.

11. Nelson Geis says:

Now what do I get for knowing that bit of trivia before Ken Jennings pointed it out to all of us?