Baby pandas need a nap

41 Responses to “Baby pandas need a nap”

1. angusm says:

I know that people demand unicorn chasers every time you post something horrifying, but does the reverse also apply? If you post something preposterously cute, are you then obliged to post something hideous as a chaser?

“One animated steampunk diorama made of botfly-infested necrotic livers coming up …”

Or doesn’t it work like that?

• beemoh says:

If, like me, you get your Boing Boing through Google Reader, chances are you saw this, went “aww”, then scrolled down and saw that cat with the two faces. So pretty much, that’s how it’s worked for me.

2. awjt says:

now do this same thing with Legos.

3. lknope says:

Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding?  I’d say Mission Accomplished!

4. Donald Petersen says:

This is how China will conquer the western world.  While we’re supposed to be working busily and productively, we’ll now spend all day dying of cute and saying d’awww.

Face it: our grizzly cubs ain’t got nothin’ on these.

5. bklynchris says:

would it be considered perverse/fetishistic if I wanted to get nekkid, climb into that crib and commence some serious cuddling?

• CH says:

Disturbing, but I think it falls under “perfectly normal”.

I think there is a really interesting research possibility here. What kind of people aren’t at all interested in cuddling these absolutely adorable little itty bitty pandas? I even volunteer to the “normal” group which will of course be able to cuddle with these pandas… for research!

6. I hate to go full Elmyra on everyone but I really want to hold hug squish and squeeze them. Eeeeeeee!

7. Lobster says:

D’awww… they’re like fuzzy little inverted land orca.

8. Mitchell Glaser says:

Visual saccharine alert.

9. Carlos Ayala says:

A cuteness alert is desirable.
    Please don’t expose us to this without the proper alert. ;)

10. Ah, the gentle susurrus of tiny bamboo farts. Soothing.

11. Juan Carlos Gil Montoro says:

Died of cuteness.

12. Scratcheee says:

Holy smokes.  I need some insulin.

13. tamgoddess says:

Do you realize how tiny these are?? That’s a heating pad! On what looks like a changing table. I’m dying, here.

14. AWWWW. Two-Faced Cat Chaser!

15. duc chau says:

If I had a friend, and this friend was a 41 year old man, and he looked at that panda picture and spontaneously began lactating, should my friend go see a doctor?

16. bklynchris says:

OMG!  Look the two in the forward right hand corner are kissing!  It really is almost too much….

17. Talia says:

I have no idea how those researchers get anything done. I’m surprised they don’t spend all day fawning over the darlings.

18. Tyrone Smith says:

Now you’re just pandering!

19. Lise Bing says:

Link pra fazer “nhóooooooin” (duvido se vc não fizer!!!)

20. Frank Diekman says:

The cuteness! It is too much!

21. FutureNerd says:

Not only were the pandas lying there on Sept. 26, but someone took a picture of them *on the very same day*!

22. I thought this was a basket of slippers at first

23. Tim Van Buren says:

I demand a webcam be pointed in that thar direction

24. hazz says:

How do they know which mother to return them to?

25. awww, look at the teeny tiny toenails on the one in the lower right corner!

26. boglid says:

If these are Giants, what do the small ones look like:)

27. Gregor Smith says:

IT’S SO FLUFFY, I’M GONNA DIE!!

28. Wayne Dyer says:

I suspect an evolutionary advantage to their coloring is apparent here.  Many who have their heads turned appear to be looking at you with eye + ear.

29. Jay Babcock says:

If only they were carnivorous.

30. nonpillow says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I need to squeeze them and then steal the fattest one till my brain stops saying ‘Awww’. SO FLUFFY!

31. justgrimes says:

what is the collective noun for baby pandas? a cuteness of pandas?

32. fritz from london says:

…and that’s why I have stopped reading BoingBoing regularly

33. The problem is that what China is doing is using in vitro fertilization techniques on Panadas to help produce more populations for zoos and thus increase tourism.  They aren’t using this in any way to recover any wild populations.  They just want the rest of the world to see them as environmentally conscience when in reality they are anything but.  Increasing a captive population but simultaneously destroying the wild populations habitat is not helpful at all.  But yes they are adorable and I want to squish each one.

34. suresh iyer says:

Habitat loss and fragmentation are the most pressing threats to the giant panda. Large areas of natural forest have been cleared for agriculture, timber and fuel wood.· Because of China’s dense human population, many panda populations are isolated in narrow belts of bamboo no more than 1,000-1,200 meters in width. Panda habitat is continuing to disappear as settlers push higher up the mountain slopes.· Across the panda’s range, habitat is fragmented into more than 20isolated patches. Within these patches, a network of nature reserves provides protection for more than half of the panda population. Because pandas cannot migrate between these far-flung habitat blocks, they have less flexibility to find new feeding areas during periodic bamboo die-off episodes.