15 Responses to “Penn & Teller's Magic and Mystery Tour: exploring magic's roots in China, India and Egypt”

1. I don’t know what it is, but those 2 have always just struck me as possibly the most smarmiest f*cks on the planet.

• marilove says:

You might actually want to check out their British show Fool Us:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Teller:_Fool_Us

I live in the US but there are … ways to find that show.

Anyway, from watching that show, it’s very, very clear how seriously they take their craft.  It’s also clear how very much they respect fellow magicians.  Even if they were able to figure out what the magicians were doing, they often were amazed at their skill, and gave much praise, and on more than one occasion happily admitted that the magician on stage did it better than they ever could.

I guess they might be considered smarmy to some, but they are also humble.  And, you can’t deny the skill that they both have with their craft.

2. Kaffenated says:

For those interested – this is available on Netflix streaming.

I’ve queued this for later, thanks for sharing Cory.

3. Jim Saul says:

Teller speaks in it?  Sounds very cool.  I recall really freaking people out as a young child doing the “no pulse” trick with a rubber ball in the armpit after reading a book about traditional Indian fakirs.

4. When I was a teenager back in 1975 my parents and I stood on the deck of the Taj Mahal and threw rupees down to the magicians below. They performed a levitation illusion under a large blanket, but my mother always told the story with no blanket and more embellishment on their levitation height. That was my first experience with a credible eyewitness relating an incredible eyewitness account.

5. LintMan says:

I was hoping they’d show how it was done, like they do sometimes.  Seeing how it a trick is done is usually more entertainment for me than the actual trick.

6. aynrandspenismighty says:

I was able to catch their show at the Rio in Vegas and was one of the people pulled on stage to assist in the “magic bullet” trick. It’s a great show and I’m still wondering how that trick works.

7. Jim Moskowitz says:

And yes, as Jim Saul has sussed, Teller speaks in the program. A *lot*. I found it almost eerie how casual the show was about it.

8. Mister44 says:

Excited to find time to watch. I love Penn and Teller.

9. Tynam says:

Listening to Teller talk about magic is well worth it in itself.  It doesn’t happen often, and his depth of knowledge on the subject is simply incredible.

10. unklstuart says:

A most excellent movie. I like that they carry all their own food.

Snarky, rather that smarmy, I think.

11. redstarr says:

For the folks that have seen this one, is it okay for a 13 year old boy?  I couldn’t find a rating on it on Amazon.  I love Penn and Teller, but I’m an adult, and I know sometimes they can have a bit of a racy streak (lots of cursing and boobs and such on their Bullshit show).   My little brother is 13 and REALLY into magic, especially street magic and vintage magic (huge Houdini fan), and I think that video might make a good birthday gift for him.  But I want to make sure that it’s not going to be wildly inappropriate.

• unklstuart says:

It’s been a while, but I don’t remember anything racey. I do remember poverty, respect and some interesting cultural lessons.

12. Greg Joughin says:

This was aired on free TV in Canada seven or eight years back (it’s co-produced by the CBC), and it’s great. And although I wasn’t a 13-year-old boy at the time, and haven’t seen it since, I’m still pretty sure it’d be fine for that age group. (Although I suppose there could be a few swears, because Canada’s way less uptight about that sorta stuff being on free TV than the US is….)

13. Robin Bowles says:

We watched the Egypt episode on Netflix a week or so ago and were stuck by how unpolished it was compared to their other work. We’ve taken to calling it “Penn and Tellers’s Vacation Videos” in our house to reflect the very casual nature.
    it is, however, incredibly heartfelt. You see them elated, confused, embarrassed, depressed. Teller speaks, at length and candidly, directly to the camera. It’s very different from BullSh*t and Fool Us yet no less compelling. This is far more Penn and Teller the magic enthusiasts and historians, rather than the consummate performers you may be accustomed too.