A large handwritten poster (purportedly) from a laid-off employee of the defunct bookselling chain Borders entitled "Things we never told you: Ode to a bookstore death," reveals several key truths of bookselling (and some cranky griping):
Things we never told you: Ode to a bookstore death
• We hate when a book becomes popular simply because it was turned into a movie.
• We greatly dislike the phrase "Quick Question." It's never true. And everyone seems to have one.
• We always knew when you were intently reading Better Homes and Gardens, it was really a hidden Playboy.
• It NEVER bothered us when you threatened to shop at Barnes & Noble. We'd rather you do if you're putting up a stink.
• "I was just here last week and saw this book there" meant nothing to us. The store changed once a week.
• Oprah was not the "final say" on what is awesome. We really didn't care what was on her show or what her latest book club book was. Really.