A large handwritten poster (purportedly) from a laid-off employee of the defunct bookselling chain Borders entitled "Things we never told you: Ode to a bookstore death," reveals several key truths of bookselling (and some cranky griping):
Things we never told you: Ode to a bookstore death
• We hate when a book becomes popular simply because it was turned into a movie.
• We greatly dislike the phrase "Quick Question." It's never true. And everyone seems to have one.
• We always knew when you were intently reading Better Homes and Gardens, it was really a hidden Playboy.
• It NEVER bothered us when you threatened to shop at Barnes & Noble. We'd rather you do if you're putting up a stink.
• "I was just here last week and saw this book there" meant nothing to us. The store changed once a week.
• Oprah was not the "final say" on what is awesome. We really didn't care what was on her show or what her latest book club book was. Really.
In honor of the great director Jonathan Demme who died yesterday, please enjoy this bloopers reel from his classic film Silence of the Lambs. More horror film blooper reels at TVOvermind.
A Canadian goose declared it open season on cops, as this Clarksville, Tennessee detective found out. This cop-hating honker takes a gander at this cop, then puts him down. Just when the cop’s goose is cooked…
Nope. This Super Mario children’s birthday party cupcake arrangement did not turn out as planned.
Bamboo has lots of uses beyond just being panda food. Things like bikes, roads, scaffolding, and musical instruments are made from the fast-growing grass. But unless you are participating in a tropical-themed LARP, you probably wouldn’t want a shirt made from bamboo stalks. So why do bamboo bed sheets make any sense? Because yarn extracted from […]
If you want to work in tech, but don’t have any desire to code web apps to help businesses sell things to other business, you might want to consider a career in cybersecurity. Judging from the apparent complete infiltration of Russian hackers in American cyberspace, it seems fair to speculate that there’s a major shortage of […]
All moms are different. But all moms like getting flowers on Mother’s Day, and that’s a fact (not, however a fact we can document in any fashion.) Instead of getting chewed out for forgetting to call her on the second Sunday of May, you can take care of it ahead of time with Teleflora’s flower […]