Counting crows?

6 Responses to “Counting crows?”

1. Ean Moody says:

Cool study, but it strikes me here that we may be looking at pattern recognition rather than the ability to count and compare numbers. (i.e. they learn that that certain pattern of dots equals food, rather than them determining that “five equals food”)

Label a set of containers with dots that have a range of numbers, and always put the food in the highest numbered container, with a number of food pellets corresponding to the number on the container.

See how high you can go before they start to lose count and make mistakes. See if you can introduce new symbols for decimal counting (Or maybe octal, since I think crows only have four digits per foot? We don’t want to be biased towards anthrodigitalnumerology, which is a thing I just made up.) and if it works, see if using those reduces or increases mistakes at high numbers.

2. Guest says:

“We want to reveal more about the unknown intelligence of crows,” the professor said.

Professor Berndt Heinrich had the same thought.

3. V says:

I have nothing of value to add, so I’ll just leave this here.

4. bardfinn says:

What do you mean, an African or a European crow?

What? I — I don’t kno — AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa…..

One, Two, FIVE!
    Three, sir, three!
    THREE!

5. Romeo Vitelli says:

Crows are sinister birds.  Wherever they gather, a murder occurs.

6. lousgirl84 says:

I love love love Crows.  They are so smart it scares me.   I had a flock of crows who recognized my car (because I used to feed them).  I stopped taking that route for more than a year and one day I decided to go back that way and those same crows recognized my car and started flying alongside my car hoping I guess that I would feed them.  You better not start feeding crows because they never forget and will wait for you and stalk you.  They do me but I love them.