Population streams: globalization results in liquefaction

11 Responses to “Population streams: globalization results in liquefaction”

1. Paul Renault says:

Hear! Hear!

I don’t recall how I stumbled upon Venkat’s blog some years ago, but Ribbonfarm IS on my must-read list.

2. OgilvyTheAstronomer says:

Anything that contributes to the erosion of the nation state is a good thing in my book. I wish I could remember the name of the philosopher who said “Nationalism is a disease, and travel is the cure”.

• Teirhan says:

i tried to do a search; apparently it is a (famous) Spanish author, and the exact quote is “Nationalism is a disease that is cured by traveling”.  However, I was unable to find out who this quote is actually attributable to.  D:

3. autark says:

am I missing something? where is the “Map” in the linked to post?

4. ycleptShawn says:

How is this more than a bunch of people who have the same idea and some time on their hands?  Like people who traveled to Europe after college, or people who become ski bums for a time.  Lots of big words, but I’m not sure what to make of this.

• trefecta says:

Quantified, that is: broken down to a smaller recognizable part, it IS just a bunch of people and a ‘cultural concept’, but as a larger system it is is a liquid. I don’t know how profound this finding is, as I’m not sure what systems AREN’T liquids at a ‘macro’ enough scale, other than dead ones.

At large enough scales, I’m sure everything becomes ‘gas-like’.

5. Amelia_G says:

I wonder what Bruce Chatwin might have said about this type of nomadism. “Solvitur ambulando,” it is solved by walking.

6. eli laztanguren says:

Well, philosopher Zygmunt Bauman has been talking about “liquid modernity” for a while.

7. Phil Fot says:

After spending several years in a combat zone, it’s not uncommon among soldiers to desire some stress-free time. Being intoxicated and away from physical danger goes a long way towards avoiding permanent mental damage.

Too bad smoking marijuana and hash is illegal. It would go a long way towards helping people return to a normal life.

8. balgair says:

From  Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri (1999):
    “As distances vanish and the people can flowfreely from place to place, society will cross a psychological specificheat boundary and enter a new state. No longer a solid or liquid, we have become as a vapor and will expand to fill all available space. And like a gas, we shall not be easily contained.-Sister Miriam Godwinson”