Megamash: retro Flash game requires you to mash up vintage genres to win

Megamash review [playthisthing.com]

7 Responses to “Megamash: retro Flash game requires you to mash up vintage genres to win”

1. Lobster says:

There’s another similar game out there somewhere that actually mixed elements of different classic games.

2. cap10wow says:

i thought it was pretty cool. i played it for about 20 seconds before my nine year old daughter asked me what the heck i was doing.

3. blueelm says:

Hahaha! I found this really fun. But I had a completely depressing day today so I’m just glad there was something cute and stupid for me to distract myself with.

4. dagfooyo says:

This is awesome!   I love how the mashed-up games are similar but not exactly identical to their old-school counterparts – the first level, for instance, bearing an eerie similarity to Super Mario Bros. 1-1.   The puzzle-solving required by this is truly excellent – I especially like the way the tetris-clone dynamic comes into play and must be used in an unexpected way.  I remember as a kid when a game cartridge malfunctioned, wishing it would do something cool like this.  I used to mess around for hours typing random codes into the game genie in the hopes of creating a random alternate game out of my old cartridges.

5. Nightflyer says:

It sounds interesting, I’ll have to check it out.

Off-topic: I’m still experiencing a bug trying to view this site on my cell phone. It’s a Droid 2 Global, if that matters. I can bring up the main page, but if I try to read more of a story or view comments, I can’t scroll down that page at all. Though the banner ad at the top of the page works just fine, of course. I have no trouble on my laptop.

6. librtee_dot_com says:

Characteristically innovative, clever, and fun gameplay from the Nitrome studio.

They remind me quite a bit of the developer ‘nerdook’ – always unique gameplay, distinctive graphics, a good grasp of what makes a game just feel right. Except that he is only one guy!