Royal Navy ejector seat for sale as office-chair

Ejector Seat Chair for Sale! [whenitsgoneitsgone.net]

19 Responses to “Royal Navy ejector seat for sale as office-chair”

1. That’s silly. But safe.

2. humanresource says:

Redundancies are about to get a whole lot quicker and less painful…

3. Jon Sowden says:

DO WANT!

Apart from anything else I love the stark, functionality of it. And the Buccaneer is quite lovely a/c.

(By the way, my understanding is that they’re quite remarkably UNcomfortable. The padding is pretty much non-existent, because the forces of ejection would tend to break pilots even more if there was much give. But that’s ok, because they’re typically occupied by highly motivated, very fit young men doing what they love, and who don’t mind a numb arse if it means they get to fly the world’s best a/c)

4. professor says:

Placing it under the office skylight and telling prospective  job candidates to sit in it (“Are you properly strapped in? Ok, let’s start.”) has the potential for a very entertaining interview!

5. Bob Rossney says:

Good idea to double-check and make sure that the propellant’s really gone.

• teknocholer says:

“Good idea to double-check and make sure that the propellant’s really gone. ”

Indeed. Back in the 60′s my father worked as an air traffic controller in London, Ontario. A young woman who worked with him managed to get an ejector seat from some RCAF jets that were being scrapped, intending to use it in her apartment. The propellant had been removed, but someone had neglected to remove the cartridge that ignited it (a blank rifle cartridge IIRC). As she was cleaning the seat on her balcony, she tugged at a wire. Lost two fingers.

6. HairySammoth says:

I can confirm that these things really are very comfy. I seem to remember that it’d be a bit more reclined than the average office chair, though – you might have to reach for your keyboard a bit. Not exactly easily adjustable, either.

7. nosehat says:

Ejector seat office chair, huh?

Perfect for a wall street executive if the peasants get a little too unruly!  Does it come with a golden parachute?

8. SedanChair says:

“This meeting is over! And Richardson, I want those figures sent to my phone before I get down past the 15th floor!”

*rip* BANG *CRASH**foomp*

9. retepslluerb says:

I’m pretty sure that HP is going to be quite interested.

10. teapot says:

I assume that a pilot’s seat has to be at least moderately comfy, though!
    This is Royal Navy we’re talking about, so I don’t think that’s a totally safe assumption.

But who cares? It’s the most badass seat ever.

11. Brood-X says:

A fascinating cold-war relic but I would suggest that an office adornment like this would tend to diminish confidence in executive leadership.  What message does this convey other than “when the going gets tough I’ll bailout.”

12. Lobster says:

Great way to exit a meeting.

13. Couldn’t they have come up with something better than the bathroom grab bar base?

14. Mister44 says:

I don’t think it would be that comfy, especially since it doesn’t look like it moves reclines at all. But it would kick ass to play flight simulator games.

Fun fact – I have a bolt that holds in the seat of an SR-71.  Hmm – maybe BB can help me. The bolt exterior is a shiny chrome. The threads are gold colored. I thought it might be real gold to help insure a good connection for the bolt explosives. But the gold color just doesn’t look right to be real gold. Any idea what it could be made of?

• teknocholer says:

Titanium nitride? That’s the gold-coloured stuff used to plate drill bits and other tools.

I don’t know why threads need to be treated that way. Maybe the bolt is removed and replaced a lot. But  “titanium” always sounds cool.

• Mister44 says:

It DOES make everything sound cooler. I had titanium glasses that lasted FOREVER.

Anyway – no that can’t be it. Making threads extra hard would just wear out what it is screwing into. Looking at it, and I can’t find any bolts with threads made of the stuff. They have some where the head and/or shaft are plated. Also, I found out they make AR-15 bolt carriers with the stuff.

I was hoping some air plane mechanic/nut might chime in.

Also cool about it – the bolt has its own serial number.

• carl Martin says:

Perhaps it’s a chromate conversion coating used to inhibit corrosion.  It has a distinctive yellow color.

In Google we trust…

15. V says:

Still looks more comfortable than the office chair I have now.