Beautiful short film about decomposition of a whale carcass

25 Responses to “Beautiful short film about decomposition of a whale carcass”

1. This is really neat. It would benefit from a time scale to indicate how long each phase lasts rather than just providing the total.

2. petershultz says:

This is a unicorn chaser! (at least if you love beautiful puppetry)

3. Culturedropout says:

That’s one of the most beautiful decaying corpses I’ve ever seen.  Not that I’ve… uh… Hey – what’s that over there???!?

I just want to know if the “sulphophiles” have to register and put little signs in their yards…

4. GuyInMilwaukee says:

Wonderfully done. May I suggest they depict the decay of the country’s infrastructure next?

5. jsd says:

Radiolab is a national treasure.

6. Ben Ehlers says:

I laughed at loud at the hagfish. Thank you for making my morning brighter.

7. Tye Austin says:

Cool vid.  Even cooler if you listen to RadioLab Podcast first

8. Larry Rubinow says:

-10 points for failure to use Harry Nilsson’s “Think About Your Troubles” as the soundtrack.  Otherwise, beautiful!

9. Rich Keller says:

I like this, but I kept expecting Isabella Rossellini to pop up and say, “What does he think I am, a black hagfish?”

10. yupgiboy says:

Larry, I immediately thought the same thing.

11. shutz says:

But what happens to a bowl of petunias in a similar situation?

12. Halloween_Jack says:

There’s something ineffably cool about the idea of an entire ecosystem, or even civilization, springing up in the body of an enormous creature. Futurama has done a couple of episodes along those lines (one in Fry’s body, one in Bender’s), and China Mieville’s New Crobuzon has a district called Bonetown, which features a gargantuan fossilized ribcage–no one knows how they got there, what sort of creature it was, or where the rest of the skeleton is.

13. chaopoiesis says:

Phase 4:  pie.

14. Guest says:

There’s also a short film about the energetic disassembly of a whale carcass.

I wouldn’t exactly call it beautiful, but it is enlightening:

15. garyg2 says:

Lovely.

And always a pleasure to hear Rachels, most underatednest band ever.

16. Spriggan_Prime says:

I loved this segment on Planet Earth series Deep Seas episode.

17. teufelsdrochk says:

I propose all radiolab mentions now be preceded by…”MacArthur genius grant winner Radiolab”.

18. dlbancroft says:

Was just listening to this one, love radiolab – can really see why Jad Abumrad just won the MacArthur genius award, though not sure why he did over the other guy…

19. Mister44 says:

I LOVE deep sea stuff. I skimmed the video, and it was kinda neat with the puppets, but I like the real thing better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQbGk4sHROg

Warning – if you don’t like watching hagfish make short work of putrid flesh, this video is not for you.

This is a fish, but it has my favorite giant isopods! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnvNe5qZUk&feature=fvwrel

:45 seconds into it, crank up “Yakkity Sax” and smile.

20. teapot says:

Thanks for reminding me about stinky meat.. That site taught me that anything can be a thriving ecosystem.

Also this animation is really nicely done.