William Gibson Interview

22 Responses to “William Gibson Interview”

1. Lobster says:

Huh.  He looks like Steve Jobs in 8-bit.  But I’ve been seeing him everywhere lately.  I think I heard his voice in the reverb on a SID.

2. I can’t think of the term for seeing Steve Jobs in everything, but the one for seeing Joi Ito in everything is clearly pareijoila

3. futurenextlevel says:

Paris Review not Paris Match. Very different publications.

4. Yes indeed! Now that’s an interesting brainfart this morning. Fixed.

5. It doesn’t matter what you see in pixel art, gentlemen, the memetic grand council will not beatify him until there are at least two verified appearances of Mr. Jobs in slices of burned toast.

6. Ian Chisholm says:

“…just step on the Ballard.” brilliant as always.

7. liquidstar says:

I wish he would stop the “I know how to write a novel now” thing already.  Not knowing what you are doing creatively is sometimes a good place to be.  Maybe I just like jump cuts and 2′ x 4′s in my science fiction I dunno.

• Lobster says:

Not knowing what you are doing creatively is sometimes a good place to be.  It’s also sometimes a bad place to be, as anyone who has ever been in a creative writing class will tell you (possibly while insisting you read their new screenplay).

Knowing what you are doing while intentionally taking risks or doing it wrong for creative purposes is a better place to be.

• liquidstar says:

I agree with  “Knowing what you are doing while intentionally taking risks or doing it
        wrong for creative purposes is a better place to be.” wholeheartedly.  I did say “sometimes”, not always. However, from the interviews and such I have seen/read from Gibson I feel he is somehow selling himself short, almost as if he has a need to prove that he can write.  Personally I would like to see him really cut loose fictionally; there s a lot there in his work but it seems to be wearing a Gimp suit. Don t get me wrong though, I do enjoy his works and especially his insights, though at times I feel like I’m reading Baudrillardian critique/classification of the (consumer) object.

• Lobster says:

Hmm.  Well, I’ve always subscribed to the belief that a work of art exists independent of its artist (and inversely, that if an artist needs to explain his or her art for it to be understood, it is incomplete).

If his books still work for you, just read the books and appreciate the man as an author.  If you’re curious about what he has to say as a person then interviews are great, but you don’t need to agree with anything he says, even if it’s a self-assessment.

If Gibson keeps qualifying himself like that, maybe it’s not for us or for the interview.  Maybe he needs to say it for himself.  Just because he’s one of the greats doesn’t necessarily mean he goes around thinking, “I’m William F-ing Gibson and cyberpunk is what I damn well SAY it is.”  Especially since he’s hardly alone in the field.

I guess what I’m saying (in way too many words) is not to let it get you down. :D

8. MrScience says:

I found the Paris Review in my local library (my wife was doing something, so I took my son to the library for a few hours). I made everyone wait while I read the entire article (new journal, so no checkout), which was quite lengthy. It was amazingly good.

9. MrScience says:

In fact, I took some photos of choice quotes with my cellphone while reading… here’s one that I think BoingBoingers will like, on the intentionality of his Neuromancer work:

How did you come up with the title?
    Coming up with a word like neuromancer is something that would earn you a really fine vacation if you worked in an ad agency. It was kind of a booby-trapped portmanteau that contained considerable potential for cognitive dissonance, that pleasurable buzz of feeling slightly unsettled.
    I believed that this could be induced at a number of levels in a text – the microlevel with neologisms and portmanteaus, or using a familiar word in completely unfamiliar ways. There are a number of well known techniques for doing this…

10. Stuart hall says:

My personal feeling is that the soap box derby car Neuromancer was 1 part text and 7 parts the readers imagination, his newer works are 7 parts text and 1 part the readers imagination.

11. monkey_pirate says:

I can’t be the only one who thinks the 8-bit image bears an uncanny resemblance to the S.R. Hadden character from Contact.

12. Stefan Jones says:

Ooooh, good call on Bleak House.

One of the many character threads is about a lord and lady. Very traditional, worried about “leveling” and such. Then the son of an industrialist take an interest in one of their servant girls. Before he marries her he wants to educate her for goodness sake, of all things.

Great, grim scenes in a factory town full of degraded gin-swilling louts.

13. vicx says:

Gibson looks like an observant and reflective chimp.  His short stories are the best.

14. Genre Slur says:

The Gernsback Continuum or BUST. Hippy Hat Brian Parasite can stowaway, though…
    …yet glad to see Mr. Gibson granting conversational interviews. I only hope to get him back out to Calgary for Wordfest or something.

15. mark zero says:

I put off reading this for a couple of days, but the universe is conspiring against me; Boing Boing issue 12 fell out of a magazine stack a few minutes ago, and what do you suppose was mentioned on the cover?