8-bit creatures in a music video by Anne Lucht

16 Responses to “8-bit creatures in a music video by Anne Lucht”

1. jlargentaye says:

Reminds me of attack of the Space Invaders in the Röyksopp music video for Happy Up Here

2. michaelismichael says:

That was super. I love pixels.

3. BarBarSeven says:

Love the concept, but after about 45 seconds the music made me want to poke my eardrums.

4. Donald Petersen says:

Man, I don’t like 8-bit sprites and never have, but I kinda loved that video.  And the music grew on me, too.  And here I thought “krautrocky” could only refer to the likes of the Scorpions and Accept.

5. As a fellow resident of Düsseldorf, let me just say:
    This is fucking awesome!

6. pimlottc says:

Nice tracking!

7. mdot says:

Charming. Patrick Jean’s work is as well. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcv6dv_pixels-by-patrick-jean_creation?start=26#from=embed

8. 3William56 says:

Brilliant.

Donald must be the child of another age, because the simple primary colours, blocky shapes,  sounds and motion of sprites can’t but make me smile.

Still waiting for Pixels the Motion Picture. Someone give Patrick Jean a couple of million $$ and stand back, like they did for District 9, Monsters and 9.

• Donald Petersen says:

Donald must be the child of another age

Oh, I was a child of the 8-bit age.  Born in 1969, and certainly played my share of Space Invaders and Asteroids and Berzerk.  But I couldn’t wait for the graphics to improve, and never looked back.

I kind of have the same issues with retro-80s stuff like Izod shirts and corduroy pants.  Hated wearing that stuff then (thanks, Mom), can’t imagine people wanting to wear it now.

9. thatbob says:

I really liked most of these toons – the blue breakers!  the Charlie Brown chomper!  Bloopers!  and Slimey! – but the giant rolling eyeball was an ungodly horror that has fractured the sanity of my mind.

10. James Siddle says:

Loved the video but was annoyed by the unsteady cam … gave me a headache.

11. kqih says:

good ! …but the bougé of the camera is insupportable…

12. bjacques says:

Shame they can’t do this in Boston!

Somebody had to say it. ..

[ETA]

I’ve always liked author Kodwo Eshun’s description of Düsseldorf as the Mississippi Delta of electronica.

13. Dago says:

This is more like 4-bit graphics.

14. russ says:

Last four sounds in the bog-standard MIDI voice set.  Ref. Yamaha DX7
    TELEPHONE HELICOPTER APPLAUSE GUNSHOT

15. Heike Sperling says:

Great, one of the best works at our Visual Music class this year at
    Institute For Music And Media Düsseldorf (www.musikundmedien.net)!