13 Responses to “Trebuchet attack! Elementary school kids build castle siege demonstration for school”

1. xzzy says:

Using children as the counterweight makes so much more sense than using metal weights!

Mostly because it makes the device easier to arm, and you don’t have to apply any torque until you’re ready to fire. They need to make a full sized trebuchet now, and let people ride in the bucket. I bet it’s fun.

2. gizmomathboy says:

Where is the link to the write up? None of the links provided go to a post about the awesomeness.

3. jennybean42 says:

We bought one of these fantastic trebuchets for my son last birthday (when he turned 5.) It is rubber band powered, and shoots,pingpong balls. Not affiliated with the guy, but it is now my son’s fave toy. I imagine we will be doing something similiar in the future.

4. snagglepuss says:

When they start hurling flaming bags of dog poop, is when you really know that they’ve fully absorbed the lessons.

5. t3kna2007 says:

“It’s not the thing you fling; it’s the fling itself.” — Chris in the Morning, and apparent intellectual forefather of a certain Burning Man escapade.

6. EH says:

This is pretty darn cool, which usually means the teacher is on the verge of being fired for it.

7. for_SCIENCE says:

… excellent, until some parent raises an objection and gets stuff like this banned (oh noes! they has weapons!!1!).

8. Their feldspars says:

Every time I see the word “trebuchet” it reminds me of Comic Sans.

9. Here is a timelapse video of a bunch of teens building a somewhat larger scale machine (12 foot throwing arm, 8 foot axle height).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8FJuahxm0Y

Total time between me describing how to design one, and them attempting to fire was about 6 hours.  They managed to throw 0.7kg weights around 100 meters.

10. Eark_the_Bunny says:

My goodness what is America coming too!  This week it’s grade school kids with mass siege weapons.  Next week they could be putting siege to wall street or something.  No, I guess not since everybody loves wall street.

11. jimh says:

When your LARPing stepfather gets released on bail, you can unleash the trebuchet on him!

12. Ted Bautista says:

onward to Kings’ Landing!