12 Responses to “Chinese web censors block terms related to "Occupy," to stamp out movement's spread in China”

1. dagfooyo says:

Hopefully this is a sign that the Occupy movement is taking root in China – how freaking cool!  If anywhere in the world could use more economic equality, not to mention, you know, civil liberties, human rights etc., it’s China.

2. gnomemaker says:

How about dis-occupy Tibet?

• truffle says:

Occupy Lhasa and Urumqi could get really interesting…

In a way, this kind of protest feels more suited to China than NYC.

3. Cowicide says:

How will the conservatives manage to distort this into a negative for OWS, I wonder?  This surely proves once and for all OWS is in league with the Nazi party somehow.

…or, they’ll just hide their head in the sand and pretend this never happened, I suppose…

4. James says:

Well time to use l33t speak I guess.

Fuck China. What a bunch of douche bags that government is. Surely Paul Ryan would feel right at home there.

5. Heleen Mees says:

Perhaps my Chinese is not good enough, but I get tons of hits when I type 占据北京, 占用北京 or 占有北京 (three different versions of Occupy Beijing) here in Beijing using Chinese Google. Moreover, the coverage of the Occupy Wall Street protests has been extensive in The China Daily, with an early editorial even suggesting that the United States was censoring news reporting on OWS.

6. Heleen Mees says:

Also, I signed up for Sino Weibo, typed three different versions of Occupy Beijing and my messages have not been blocked as of yet: http://weibo.com/2423664321

7. Thebes says:

Once again China is copying American businesses.
    The first few days of the #occupywallstreet YAHOO was censoring emails. Corporations are always quicker than governments.

Of course, China admits that they are intentionally subverting Free Speech. Yahoo issued a bullshit excuse that the corporate media pretended to believe.

8. benher says:

When protest videos leak to the rest of their populace, their porky officials will just blame Japan or Taiwan or the US or Tibet or Falun gong or Martians…

PS: Stay classy Yahoo!

9. Heleen Mees says:

By now I have two Chinese ‘fans’ (followers) on Sina Weibo who respond to my  ‘Occupy Beijing!’ so my comments are definitely not blocked:http://weibo.com/2423664321/fans

10. I guess if it’s Sina Weibo it’s just a SEO knockout; I’m not really sure loused offers for housing loans from banking, traders, brokerage and some aspect of the unified PRC compliance processes (well…Tuesdays it is, for sure) are relevant in the same way, so it is hard to believe that someone is missing the opportunity to general discontent with catering from Nobu.

11. Josh Jasper says:

“We feel that there are issues here that are worth pondering,” said Liu Weimin, a foreign ministry spokesman during a regular briefing in Beijing.

“We have also noticed that in the media there has been a lot of commentary, discussion and reflection. But we think that all of these reflections should be conducive to maintaining the sound and steady development of the world economy,”

Liu Weimin, Chinese Foreign Minister in the US.

So, clearly, the proletariat rebelling is awesome as long as it does not happen inside China, because in China, everything is perfect, and any criticism is counter-revolutionary.

Cue the paid PRC flac-bots to tell us Americans (and Canadians and Brits) all off in 5… 4… 3… 2…